12u transition specifically 3rd

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 19, 2019
We played in our first 12u tournament yesterday. One thing that I noticed different from 10u was girls showing bunt pulling back and hitting past our 3rd basemen. What are some good tips, drills,(any useful info) defending it and any tips from offensive side as well doing that? Also, if you have any other tips making that transition from 10u. I didn’t feel too much changed besides the size of girls. They were huge. Much more defensive opportunities for us. Ball was in play

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I despise the play you are describing at younger ages.

Defense DD would not leave her position until the ball left P hand, still has plenty of time to make the play. Her key was more the pitcher then what the batter was doing.

(There are some big girls out there. DD was a pitcher and asked her how she felt about it, she said I have a bigger strike zone now.)

Last edited:
May 1, 2018
Make sure you let the player know if this is a likely bunting situation. We will show a lot of bunts and pull back to help move a 3rd baseman (trying to steal 3rd). I am not a fan of showing bunting and hitting in 12U myself. But creep and settle. Obviously if a bigger girl is batting the chance of a bunt go down. Most people aren't looking to sacrifice at this age.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812