12u problems with high pitch-please help

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Areas of Growth:
-Improved attack angle and drive
-Better posture at plant and release
-Improved resistance in the shoulders

Ideas for Improvement:
-I'm seeing a slight effort to get open. Think about driving squarely to the target and allow limb extension to open the body naturally.
-Straight arm going over the top and into release
-Posture, posture, posture...

I think that an effort to drive squarely will help promote better plant posture. "Think" about the drag knee or laces "seeing" the target. You can also try an effort to drag the toenails. Be careful not to force these actions, in that ultimately, a somewhat relaxed feel might be better for the lower leg as it drags.

Get the shoulders, hips and knee stacked over/behind the plant foot. Resist any bending at the hips and shoulder rotation:

D7CFAFF1-8B38-47B8-B972-2B39D8FC7003.jpeg8C06915A-9A98-4EDC-A362-D1562A8ACC78.jpeg

My suggestion is to back chain and strive for perfect reps. No more than two bad reps before changing something; distance, dry throws (no ball,) throw into a net, eyes closed and always double check with video. Start with 1/4 or half whips with an emphasis on posture and loose whip. Increase distance and effort as long as she maintains good reps. Let her know its ok to brush her thigh below the hipbone with good posture and whip.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2014
Try this as an exercise in "FEEL" Look at the second to last still just as she is releasing the ball, have her go through her motion get into this position and freeze can even do this in living room without the ball The key thing to focus on is making sure her heel is touching the ground (just like the picture) now from this position without her moving anything else just have her take her back heel off the ground at get toe up laces to the catcher. She should feel her hip release and she will actually stand more upright and if she keeps her hand hanging down and lose she will actually go from arm free hanging to it brushing up against her side. This is what it should FEEL like without the anchor. As Ken stated work on drive straight and laces to catchers during drive and you should end up in the proper position. Once she get this feel i really like the cue of straight and tall to remind her what things should look and feel like.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802