12U Hitting "Slump"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Are you sure? Notice how the wrists don't quite release into and through impact.

The angle between the bat and forearm remains at about 90-degrees at the frame before impact, at impact, and two frames after impact.

I thanked Ray for sharing. I had an offer of a critic, which I removed. Again, I thanked Ray for sharing which most of us aren't/don't do anymore...myself included. So, again thanks for sharing. I enjoy looking at swings of non-college hitters. I'll check in later back to watching college softball on TV.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Yes, I long ago found extension in some cases to be part of adjusting to timing.

It's not about "staying on the pitch", but squaring the pitch ... and that can be done by 'clubbing' with a decelerating barrel, or by simply allowing for the 'along' throwing action which unhinges/squares the ball, with acceleration into/through impact ... simply throw into/through impact.

The notion of "staying on the pitch" sends many down the wrong road.

May 3, 2014
I thanked Ray for sharing. I had an offer of a critic, which I removed. Again, I thanked Ray for sharing which most of us aren't/don't do anymore...myself included. So, again thanks for sharing. I enjoy looking at swings of non-college hitters. I'll check in later back to watching college softball on TV.

Thank you for thanking me.

May 3, 2014
Are you sure? Notice how the wrists don't quite release into and through impact.

The angle between the bat and forearm remains at about 90-degrees at the frame before impact, at impact, and two frames after impact.

The angle between the rear forearm and bat is something we talk about.

Feb 7, 2013
Couple of random observations, look where her back foot is after the swing. She hasn't rotated her hips enough to have her back foot up on her toes. Also, FYI I don't recommend -11 drop for 12u and older batters. I would get her at least -10 drop and as she gets into high school -9.

IME - there is a direct correlation between how much front toss / live pitching you face and success at the plate. You need to continuously practice year round as the pitching gets better and better each year. For example, now in high school, my DD is seeing lots high and outside pitches which has always been her hitting weakness area. The past 6 months her hitting coach has worked on throwing her lots of pitches to this location during front toss and practicing hitting the ball to the right side. Her game spray charts shows she is hitting the ball equally to all fields (previously most hits were LF and CF). Good luck.

Jan 28, 2017
Her practice swing between pitches looks better. I have always taught that your back knee takes you to the ball and then your hips finish. I don't think you can hit an outside pitch with a straight back leg. I work from the bottom up. Once you correct the back leg your upper body will change and then you can work on it. IMO

May 9, 2008
Hartford, CT
https://youtu.be/7g-N0uTGepA

This past weekend much better. With middle school over we were able to get back to batting coach ... worked on turning the hips quicker. Also went over that her goal was to get get at least one hard hit ...regardless of whether or not fielded (do not worry about getting on base) ... a couple good up the middle line drives, one very deep OF that was caught ...only one lame grounder all weekend. So we keep going down that path, then work on the next thing (faster pitchers).

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
https://youtu.be/7g-N0uTGepA

This past weekend much better. With middle school over we were able to get back to batting coach ... worked on turning the hips quicker. Also went over that her goal was to get get at least one hard hit ...regardless of whether or not fielded (do not worry about getting on base) ... a couple good up the middle line drives, one very deep OF that was caught ...only one lame grounder all weekend. So we keep going down that path, then work on the next thing (faster pitchers).

Slot and shift. You want to learn how to sit and turn.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802