12 yr old DD off tee.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Hoping to get some honest feedback. I'm getting her a batting coach but not until next summer before 14u. Thanks in advance..

Take a look at how her back leg is working, and how she's spinning on the ball of her foot. Compare this with the rear leg/foot action of Mike Trout...

Also take a look at how Trout's weight is shifting against his front side. I don't get the feeling that your DD's weight is shifting, but is staying over the rear leg.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
On the Trout video above, you can see his hips and shoulders turn back slightly (turning his right butt-cheek to the pitcher) during his forward move, which is a coiling into/around the rear hip.

With this young hitter, I'm not seeing a turn-back of the hips. Without a setup to create power with the lower body, she has no choice but to power the swing primarily with upper body rotation. The lower leg is turning, and the hips are turning the face the pitcher, but the power is upper-body dominant.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I like the catapult system and thinking of it as a sling shot action. You load against the move out. She is currently not moving out. She just sits back and reaches with the stride foot/leg. There really isn't a load or slack being taken out of the system in her current swing.

May 9, 2019
Personally, I think she's staying back too much, causing the good ole "squish the bug" swing. Overall the swing looks good, but I'd have her try to bend her front knee slightly and straighten through the swing. My DD had and still kind of has the same problem of having the front leg too straight.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coach101