11yo Hitting Analysis

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 19, 2021
Indiana
Thank you very much for the tip on the drill. We already started working on it today. The first thing we started with was getting that bat pointed at the catcher at the plate and then working forward on the stride and not moving the bat with the arms until the toe touches the ground. Then I reemphasized to her to start from the ground up work in the hips first.

May 19, 2021
Indiana
So we had about thirty minutes of practice today working off of the tee and some soft toss. Then practice was scheduled today but that ended up being a scrimmage. Here is her at bat today. The pitch was an outside changeup. This swing looks like she is almost sitting as part of the load. Looks like we have the hands back and bat pointed properly. Does the movement forward look like it is happening after the front foot comes down?

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Yes it is a sequence a problem, I just don’t think of in the same manner as most.

She is weight shifting, releasing any coil or load she may have. Lowering the barrel as she shifts weight.

A forward move is created with the load and that load runs from the ground to the scap pinch. It’s not hip rotation you need to work on. That will just make is worse as the hips try will turn away from the back leg.

What needs to be done is create a corner and maintain that corner and then the back leg/hip link turns the pelvis. The back leg is more important than the hips.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
So we had about thirty minutes of practice today working off of the tee and some soft toss. Then practice was scheduled today but that ended up being a scrimmage. Here is her at bat today. The pitch was an outside changeup. This swing looks like she is almost sitting as part of the load. Looks like we have the hands back and bat pointed properly. Does the movement forward look like it is happening after the front foot comes down?

She still turning away from the back leg, opens as the front leg and hips turn out.

Oct 2, 2017
Yes it is a sequence a problem, I just don’t think of in the same manner as most.

She is weight shifting, releasing any coil or load she may have. Lowering the barrel as she shifts weight.

A forward move is created with the load and that load runs from the ground to the scap pinch. It’s not hip rotation you need to work on. That will just make is worse as the hips try will turn away from the back leg.

What needs to be done is create a corner and maintain that corner and then the back leg/hip link turns the pelvis. The back leg is more important than the hips.
Yep that's one way to go about it.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
For some reason YouTube will sometimes not show my upload link. I’ve wasted time in the past trying to upload without the button.

Here is a gif showing coil n stretch.6F2AD2F9-0F22-4CE1-830F-E559B8DBB5F9.gif

May 19, 2021
Indiana

When you say create a corner, can you elaborate on that?

Oct 2, 2017
I think the key point that everybody is making (perhaps in different ways) is that she is starting to swing/slot too early. How is she with tee/front toss? It could be (as @clemenslee1 alluded to) that her forward move timing is off in games and hence she feels she needs to start swinging too early. Foot should be down, with upper still loaded (eg not slotted) roughly (exact timing depends on location) when the ball is halfway home.

If she is also doing this with front toss as well then get her to do some dry stride work to a good launch position and then perhaps have her do the same and then you can toss after she strides to launch position. If she is fine with front toss then it could just be a game timing thing.
The point I was making is that her swing sequence affects her being able to time the ball and also struggle with velocity. Hence ground out and pop ups. She is trying to adjust and catch up, but is limited because of the off sequence. A hitter needs to have the proper sequence already started before the ball is released by the pitcher. To give the player enough time to complete it. 🤷‍♂️

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee