11 year old dd has gone backwards pitching in the last few months

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 30, 2017
I am at a huge standstill with my DD. She is a tall, left handed very young pitcher, 11 years old. Been seriously training for about 1 1/2 years. As a 10 year old , she dominated the beginning part of the season, but towards the end of summer she struggled with her mechanics. This season we move up to 12U, 12" ball and 5ft back. She started off doing well, but in the last few weeks has seriously gone backwards. This is a kid who is 5'6 and 135 lbs at 11 years old...and shes a lefty , so she looks akward sometimes. She pitches at least 4-5 times a week, and started learning 3-4 different pitches that she was having success with at times. I do not know what or why she has gone so far back and I do not know when it is time to throw in the towel. She does NOT wnt to stop and vows to work harder every day to get back to where she was. I am not sure what to do. Her pitching coach says shes not worried and she will get passed it, but her main issue is leaning forward and trying to muscle the ball, therefore having no snap and no velocity. Now to go along with that, shes also not getting tight and throwing everything outside to a righty batter. I feel like everything we worked on for almost 2 years is going away and don't know why !!!! Anyone else go through this ? Any advice ?

Feb 15, 2017
Alot of really knowledgeable people on her. Post a video clip and you are well on your way to having answers. Could be any number of things but my first guess would be her back hip is getting in the way and she lost the “slot” that once existed between the front and back hip. HUGE guess there though....

There is a lot of growing in those years don’t panic sometimes it takes time for bodies to adjust. My dd is 12 was throwing 52 all spring now can’t get over 47. From what I understand there will be lots of ups and downs. Try to be patient and positive let her watch the video and she will get it straightened out.

Sep 28, 2015
First of all yes, this is very common at that age for a lot of reasons. There will be body changes, bad habits formed, ball size and distance change, and general quirks of being a kid. Take your time and help her SLOWLY make the adjustments to what they should be.

Second, this is a time when the parents must change as well. Parents figure out how to balance softball in their kids life and learn when to push for them to practice or take a break. Crazy 10u days are about every game being the end of the world and being scared they will suddenly forget how to pitch. 12u is when you start to see your DD has a future because she is steadily improving and you are the only one that is nervous.

Third, you should always be looking forward and discuss reasonable goals for the next game, season, and year. That should help both of you to keep things in perspective and not panic because your DD suddenly developed a new skip and dip technique on a tourney weekend!!!

Chill out!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802