11 Year Old Critique Please

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 11, 2009
OK guys here is my 11 year old DD. This is from a tourney over the weekend. Let me know your thoughts please. I see some bat drag and not enough hip and torso yet but that is just my opinion, so please let me know what you guys see.

She did go 6 for 8 on the day. She had 1 home run (one hopper to the fence), 2 triples, 2 doubles, 1 single, 1 walk, & 1 fly out higher then the light poles. She makes good adjustments to pitchers and does not strike out much.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vasp6Fspvog&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_detailpage&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vasp6Fspvog&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_detailpage&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
First thing that I would do it fix, the feet. She needs help getting a good athletic stance. I want toes in and that will bring the knees in. Like this \ / .

Yes, I see that she isn't using the hips. She is squishing the bug, which is slowing down her hips.

Oct 12, 2009
She needs help getting a good athletic stance. I want toes in and that will bring the knees in. Like this \ / .

What is the logic behind this?

I see lots of people recommend it, but I'm not sure why. You don't see it (much) in high-level swings.

I don't want my students to fan the front foot open, but I think this is going a bit too far (and might not even solve the problem).

Oct 12, 2009
OK guys here is my 11 year old DD. This is from a tourney over the weekend. Let me know your thoughts please. I see some bat drag and not enough hip and torso yet but that is just my opinion, so please let me know what you guys see.

I'm more concerned with how far out in front she hits the ball. That might be justifiable for a change-up, but I see this create a lot of problems if it becomes habitual.

It goes under the heading of a push disconnect or attacking the ball.

Dec 3, 2009
Kansas City area
lots of good things but it seems like shes going into semi- sloted position prior to swing. instead load hands back as she strides , then swing. wt transfer could be a bit better. (colapse back side) she seems to do very well. extension not sure because its hard for me to judge on a higher pitch but does she slap her back on lower pitchs or does she finish high. if not try hitters hand over drill.then face the fire. Hope this helps Eric

Last edited:

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
First thing that I would do it fix, the feet. She needs help getting a good athletic stance. I want toes in and that will bring the knees in. Like this \ / .

Yes, I see that she isn't using the hips. She is squishing the bug, which is slowing down her hips.

Amy

I attached this from the net...."Lower leg alignment problems may predispose the female athlete to anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) tears or other knee injuries. Typically the female demonstrates a wider pelvic angle and increased low-back curve. Both of these factors result in the femur, or upper leg bone, rotating inward and the knees assuming a "knock knee" position. This inward-rotated, "knock knee" position places stress on the ACL. Combine this position with the large forces generated during jumping, and you have a formula for disaster."

"Some of these alignment problems can be corrected with appropriate strength and jump training. Strength training should target trunk and gluteal muscles. Jump training must emphasize knee over second-toe position."

Greater Ground-Reaction Forces

"Research shows the typical male athlete lands with forces two and a half times his body weight after a maximum jump. This compares to the female athlete, who lands with forces up to five times her body weight."

Was not sure you were referring to a "knock knee" position or not.

Thanks Howard

May 7, 2008
Tucson
No. Something more along the lines of Megan Bush, here - Rotational Hitting 101 by Chris O'Leary

I build the swing from the ground up and I want a balanced base. I teach an athletic stance similar to the ready position in volleyball. I want the weight either on the balls of the feet or the big toe, w/o lifting the heels.

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
Mkral

Start with a balanced athletic position.

We do this by bending at the waist a little and then softening the knees, so the knees go more outward towards the toes and you should feel the weight on the balls of the feet.

Place the bat just under her butt cheeks and if done incorrectly she will feel like she is sitting on the bat. Done correctly she will not be squatting down and the core will be engaged.

Notice by looking at the top of her head how low she must sink to shift her weight.

I would want her balanced so she could shift her weight inside her back leg and them simply lift the foot and she will stride forward.

When she loads we do a simple inward turn or cocking of the lead knee and turn the lead hip away and the back hip in a little bit. Then I place my hands just below the knee cap and push her leg downward and ask her to feel the pressure on the inside of the foot on the big toe. This will allow her to lift her lead foot more fluidly.

We say slow to load and soft to step and separate the hands rearward slightly. I feel as the hips are moving forward slowly on a flexed front knee the hands are moving rearward slightly and we are changing direction and getting momentum and buying time as we get our body into a position to hit.

I feel when she gets balanced she will make this work as she is already over coming a lot to hit the ball and I mean that in a positive manner.

In my opinion she is too far forward in the batters box and we start our kids off at the rear corner of the plate, so they can create a window of opportunity to hit in and visualize where the ball is as too depth in box.

To stop the bug squish simply put a concrete block on the outside of her back foot and she will lift her foot to drive off the back foot.

I hope this helps in some way...

Thanks Howard

Aug 2, 2008
I see what Amy is saying. I tell our players the athletic position is toes straight ahead or slightly pigeon toed, knees slightly inside the feet as opposed to knees outside the feet like they just got off a horse. I have them load as Howard has described. IMO, standing like a duck is not a good position to start from. I like the site you referenced Amy.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478