12yo DD swing eval

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
I'm more of a knob (immediately) up guy as the cue and then teaching how proper tilt takes the barrel to all positions high to low. That's what I see Miggy doing in the multiple swing GIF that often floats around.

That said, the video above is not bad, and shows a lot of the paths to avoid as far as around-the-ball, casting, etc. The issue in my mind is that the knob knock the ball off the tee demo he shows works for a relatively high location as is shown. The problem is if it trains you to also start pushing the knob *forward* like that (rather than more immediately UP) on a lower pitch locations, which I think that kind of knob-forward instruction can often lead to.
What I like about the video James posted is the knob will replace the front elbow. The front elbow will change levels depending on where the pitch is located. IMO get's things moving the right direction. Of course the front elbow needs to be working properly, :).

I think you need to be careful when using the word "up". It's way too literal for a young hitter, for example "how far up?"

In the Trout swing below.. is the knob immediately going "up"? I don't think so.. I believe the knob replacing the front elbow is more applicable in this swing

Same thing here as well, I'm not seeing the knob going up immediately

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
What I like about the video James posted is the knob will replace the front elbow. The front elbow will change levels depending on where the pitch is located. IMO get's things moving the right direction. Of course the front elbow needs to be working properly, :).

I think you need to be careful when using the word "up". It's way too literal for a young hitter, for example "how far up?"

In the Trout swing below.. is the knob immediately going "up"? I don't think so.. I believe the knob replacing the front elbow is more applicable in this swing

[/QUOTE]

what do you see?

May 12, 2016

what do you see?

[/QUOTE]
If I answer that it will spawn a 50 page thread.. :)

Dec 15, 2018
CT

Been awhile since I posted a swing, let alone a live swing. DD is an 08, playing 14u and holding her own so far. Unfortunately I filmed this one, and not her solid double on the next AB. And clearly she’s swinging at ball 4 here and she’s way ahead of the pitch and there’s a ton of other stuff going on. But generally happy with the results, and more importantly she’s happy.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Wildcat

I like the swing, she stays back nicely.

It looks like she has a quick load and coil. Ball seemed to be released before the load or at release. There isn’t a absolute to starting before or at release.

Keep it fun!

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020

Been awhile since I posted a swing, let alone a live swing. DD is an 08, playing 14u and holding her own so far. Unfortunately I filmed this one, and not her solid double on the next AB. And clearly she’s swinging at ball 4 here and she’s way ahead of the pitch and there’s a ton of other stuff going on. But generally happy with the results, and more importantly she’s happy.

Appears she may be pulling with the front of her body then whipping the arms through.

Dec 15, 2018
CT

Only swing I got yesterday. Not the best contact here (though she had a solid weekend).

Still pretty “quick” (starting late). Not much different than last post.

Team did great, lost a heckuva a game in the finals 2-1 in 8 innings...one of the best quality games I’ve seen, fun to watch.

Oct 2, 2017

Only swing I got yesterday. Not the best contact here (though she had a solid weekend).

Still pretty “quick” (starting late). Not much different than last post.

Team did great, lost a heckuva a game in the finals 2-1 in 8 innings...one of the best quality games I’ve seen, fun to watch.

Awesome! Maybe the "quick" tempo is just her tempo. So she is technically starting on time based on that. I've noticed with my own DD,that her tempo with front toss etc. Is a little quicker vs against live pitching.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017
even with that quick tempo, I would watch to make sure she can be dynamic to be able to hit the change, and not have everything come flying through.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28