12yo DD swing eval

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2017
East west bat paths are common at the pro level. But losing the lower body before the hands doesn’t play at the upper levels.

Not to get into a debate, I would say yes I agree with you that they are common especially on a higher pitch. That being said, not that I know what he is thinking, but I would assume his intent is through the ball not around the ball.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Not to get into a debate, I would say yes I agree with you that they are common especially on a higher pitch. That being said, not that I know what he is thinking, but I would assume his intent is through the ball not around the ball.

For sure. Some guys are ‘level’ through the zone, some are ‘up to’ some are ‘down to’ with their thoughts. But imo all are ‘inside’ or ‘through’ the ball. Or what some mistaken as ‘inside outing’ everything, a ton of guys have an oppo approach. Doesn’t mean they won’t pull the ball, just means how they want to get their swings ‘started’ a certain way. Know what I mean?

Oct 2, 2017
For sure. Some guys are ‘level’ through the zone, some are ‘up to’ some are ‘down to’ with their thoughts. But imo all are ‘inside’ or ‘through’ the ball. Or what some mistaken as ‘inside outing’ everything, a ton of guys have an oppo approach. Doesn’t mean they won’t pull the ball, just means how they want to get their swings ‘started’ a certain way. Know what I mean?

Yes I get it. I think its important that realize that a players intent in how they view the swing has a direct impact on how their body performs it. If that makes sense?

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Yes I get it. I think its important that realize that a players intent in how they view the swing has a direct impact on how their body performs it. If that makes sense?

Totally !!

When viewing swings, I try to understand where the hitter is trying to generate force and where they are compensating to get the barrel to the ball.

Edit: exactly why I don’t like ‘stills’ to judge a swing. Intent is not overrated. A hitters thoughts drive their swing. Perception when teaching ‘cues’ has to be communal.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2017
That is exactly what I was meaning. Often getting young players who are really hitting around the ball to start hitting through the ball is to tell them to think more north south or back to front, think golf not a tennis forehand.

Oct 2, 2017
That is exactly what I was meaning. Often getting young players who are really hitting around the ball to start hitting through the ball is to tell them to think more north south or back to front, think golf not a tennis forehand.
Yes, just gotta be careful though, because it can lead to pushing of the hands, if the rest of the body is performing improperly. IMO. Another way I had my DD to think of it which seem to help, is to think more verticle bat and that the you want her to take the barrel (car or train) down the road or train tracks as long as possible she will have to keep the barrel more in a vertical fashion to do so. I told DD that if you are swing in a circle you are crashing the car or train because your going of the road or tracks LOL. Seem to help make it click little better.

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
I don't like emphasizing east-west, or north to south. East-west on a lower pitch does not work, north-south on a high pitch does not work. How vertical the path will be depends on pitch location. Telling a young hitter they need to be more north-south can lead to immediately dumping the bat which they can't recover from.

Nov 16, 2017
I don't like emphasizing east-west, or north to south. East-west on a lower pitch does not work, north-south on a high pitch does not work. How vertical the path will be depends on pitch location. Telling a young hitter they need to be more north-south can lead to immediately dumping the bat which they can't recover from.

I have found that players who have a north south attack adjust to high pitches accordingly. The reason for this can be seen in the extension. A true east west extension will be toward the left side of a right handed batter. A north south approach on any pitch should lead to an extension that is straight or directly towards the pitcher.

Yes, sometimes you create a secondary problem when you fix a problem. Dumping the barrel can occur but you address that when and if it does occur. Don't avoid teaching a good thing because bad X,Y,Z could occur. Learning the swing it like eating an elephant, one bite at a time.

I can fix dumping the barrel 10x easier than a kid hitting around the ball. Takes a good while for a player to adjust from a total east west approach. It is a different mentality. Dumping the barrel is a result of improper top hand which can be fixed a lot easier than a player that is consistently hitting around the ball.

In what I can gather Mike Trout has a north south mentality on all pitches and I think that is the right mindset.

May 12, 2016
I have found that players who have a north south attack adjust to high pitches accordingly. The reason for this can be seen in the extension. A true east west extension will be toward the left side of a right handed batter. A north south approach on any pitch should lead to an extension that is straight or directly towards the pitcher.

Yes, sometimes you create a secondary problem when you fix a problem. Dumping the barrel can occur but you address that when and if it does occur. Don't avoid teaching a good thing because bad X,Y,Z could occur. Learning the swing it like eating an elephant, one bite at a time.

I can fix dumping the barrel 10x easier than a kid hitting around the ball. Takes a good while for a player to adjust from a total east west approach. It is a different mentality. Dumping the barrel is a result of improper top hand which can be fixed a lot easier than a player that is consistently hitting around the ball.

In what I can gather Mike Trout has a north south mentality on all pitches and I think that is the right mindset.
Teaching a young hitter the mindset of attack everything north south can be extremely confusing. The players who understand how their body should react to pitch location will adjust to pitches of all different heights accordingly. High pitches are east-west.. because the body isn't tilting as much... the bat still follows the same path around the shoulders/deltoid. Pitch location dictates east-west or north-south. Asking a kid to go north-south on any pitch is not teaching a good thing, it's a flaw and confusing IMO. Immediately the kid will tilt on every pitch and it's game over at the higher levels.

I'm not saying teach east-west either, I'm saying adjust to pitch location, let your body dictate whether it's east-west or north-south

High Pitch

Low Pitch

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802