12yo DD swing eval

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2017

Live swing. Even though she misses the ball here, one of the better swings of the day (in her defense this particular lane it’s really tough to get timing - dark corner, no light, just audio cue from the whir or the machine).

Still a lot of the same things happening folks mentioned above, just a better angle to see it.

If this is off of a machine, I would like to see a front toss swing. So that we can see how she performs getting a early start. Could be she is rushing off of the machine and not getting her body in a good position because of the timing on the machine.

Jun 8, 2016
You may want to try and use the Happy Gilmore drill to get her sequencing down along with getting her a feel for using her bigger muscles a bit more efficiently...plus it is fun :)
crebKQ9.gif

I would also ditch the machine work, or keep it to a minimum. While I realize that is typically the only way you can see speed from the correct
pitching distance, when working on mechanics front toss from 15 to 20 feet is preferable imo. After a bucket of tee work, I typically throw a bucket from a chair first at a relatively slow pace (just fast enough such that there isn't a significant arc on the ball) and then stand up and throw old man windmill for a bucket or two where I increase the speed.Hopefully she will get some live arm off her team's pitchers as the season approaches to get timing down for what she will see during the season.

Oct 2, 2017
You may want to try and use the Happy Gilmore drill to get her sequencing down along with getting her a feel for using her bigger muscles a bit more efficiently...plus it is fun :)
crebKQ9.gif

I would also ditch the machine work, or keep it to a minimum. While I realize that is typically the only way you can see speed from the correct
pitching distance, when working on mechanics front toss from 15 to 20 feet is preferable imo.
After a bucket of tee work, I typically throw a bucket from a chair first at a relatively slow pace (just fast enough such that there isn't a significant arc on the ball) and then stand up and throw old man windmill for a bucket or two where I increase the speed.Hopefully she will get some live arm off her team's pitchers as the season approaches to get timing down for what she will see during the season.

The seeing the speed of a pitch is not that much of a issue, IMO. Timing up the pitchers wind up early is the key.

Sep 29, 2014
Biggest thing I noticed is given her heavy roll over finish and follow through she is actually completely upside down it terms of tilt; I don't see how she hits anything but ground balls honestly. She actually starts OK and finishes lower and is completely off balance because of that...at the beginning I thought she was actually looking OK. There are more things to work on but in my book this is number one for now. Maybe some low tee drills where she uses bat angle and does not drop her hand too much so there is no way she can finish lower than contact point. Then maybe even have her exaggerate and try and hit pop flies off a high tee finishing up, then work backwards to find the happy medium of what a nice elevated line drive feel like.

Oct 2, 2017
Play with different grips. I see a wobble in her swing. Somebody said funny roll over. Early roll over. That maybe due to grip.

I've also seen early roll over caused by the mentality of swinging around the ball instead of a straight line through the ball.

Nov 16, 2017
crebKQ9.gif

pitching distance, when working on mechanics front toss from 15 to 20 feet is preferable imo. After a bucket of tee work, I typically throw a bucket from a chair first at a relatively slow pace (just fast enough such that there isn't a significant arc on the ball) and then stand up and throw old man windmill for a bucket or two where I increase the speed.Hopefully she will get some live arm off her team's pitchers as the season approaches to get timing down for what she will see during the season.

A machine can be a great tool if used correctly. It also has to be the right type of machine. I have a hack attack jr., that sits low for softball. I do the full softball windup and can drop the ball right at release. It takes a little practice but you can really mimic a real pitch pretty well.

Nov 16, 2017
DJ is right here. Her mentality seems to be east west(merry go round). I know it is hard to guess someones intent but I see east west purpose. If you tell her to think more north south (ferris wheel)on her swing it could fix some issues. Ultimately we want tilt a whirl but thinking north south may get her very east west swing to the desired tilt a whirl.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
Her upper body action seems good to toe touch. She coils inward and her back forearm is flat at toe touch.

However, her lower body action is bad. She coils inward over her back foot. She should continue to coil inward to toe touch, but she starts coiling out (her hips open immediately). This is ruining everything. It even (later) causes her hands to go behind her back elbow (this is bat drag).

At this point of bat drag, her swing is doomed.

So, fix the coil inward. Simple fix. Do this in a mirror at home for a few days before you hit the cages again. Do dry (no bat or ball) stride to toe touch, over and over. Hold the coil until you land. Exaggerate it.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
The lower body effects what the upper does. Not the other way around. The early committal of the lower is the problem. As we have seen in a all swings. Look at the back knee intently work down and in while the hands are still ‘working’ back. Dragging bat to contact.

It’s a case of ‘hip shoulder separation’ being thought of as a good thing. The backside and hands should be firing together. Not separate.

this is a good place to start.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478