12yo DD swing eval

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2014
The stride itself is not the key it is what most hitters are doing during the stride that matters.

The key is the load/coil to get to the correct position at toe touch.

Looks at this video of one of the most prolific home run hitters in softball history....no stride.

But what I want you to focus on are two things first the position at toe touch, second focus on the OU logo on the back leg of her shorts you can see it as she sets up and at toe touch you can't make it out because she has coiled the back hip. She need to continue to work to engage her lower body and work away from your DD more handsy type swing.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
The mass gets into position too late. Compensations occur thereafter. Making force production inefficient like what was said about the front shoulder pulling out, posture broken etc.

Get her to hold onto the ground better, through her heel while she makes a forward move..this is a pretty good example of what is needed... it will take some work. Should put more power and better path back into her swing.

Jul 29, 2013
I haven't posted in years just coming back here but couldn't pass up the chance to provide honest feedback. I use side by side still because I think it illustrates the best. Your DD is young and has plenty of time but might as well start now. Her swing is very passive and handsy she really needs to engage the rest of her body. My number one focus is always to get a hitter to this point at heel plant I have in the picture below, she has to be in this position so she can maximize the power in her swing, lots of other things that could use work but this is key. Compare her to the two model hitters, you can see the models are a little different (Lauren is about a frame or two later in the swing than Josh too) but have a lot of things in common....Good Luck
I was thinking the same thing. Too passive. Hands are really close and her motion is all forward with little rearward barrel movement. Get the rear elbow up so she can it crank down and get some rearward barrel arc. Then she'll naturally get her lower half involved.

Sep 29, 2014
FIRST....I love how she is much more aggressive....looks like she might have grown a little.

camera angle is bad but it looks like her position at toe touch is much better; now as other posters have said probably want to pick the hands up a little as well as the back elbow. Also looks like she is stepping out pretty bad although with camera angle its hard to see, this might be contributing to the hand being out away from her body and arm barring out a little.

Sorry gotta run but keep working at it....

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Losing the hinge angle, bat accelerating to vertical into the swing.

After looking at the swing again, I agree with Rdbass, she is swinging down to much. I think this is contributing to losing the hinge angle. She is swinging out of plane creating issues.

Accelerating the barrel to far behind the body, lag position is attained with the hands pretty far back.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017
What I haven't seen brought up yet at least to me, is how she is thinking of the swing. It's seems her mentality is swing around the ball in a circle vs to and through the ball in a more linear fashion. She accomplishes this be setting the hands at the height of the ball then swing flat around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom