12yo DD swing eval

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
The gif that RD posted shows a few things. The negative move needs tightening up. Hand placement is a bit low. But not detrimental at this age. Look at when the barrel picks up speed. After the first initial ‘turn of the bat’. Good stuff. Her core turns before the hands come forward. It’s not cosmetically pleasing. :) but the torso is pulling the hands. Good stuff.

Once the negative move is fixed. I feel like a few of the ‘cosmetic’ things we are seeing will dissipate.

Dec 15, 2018
CT

Updated swing. Had a great 10u season, and it’s on to 12u now. First swing in this clip is lazy garbage, and second swing she’s way ahead. Thing I’m looking for advice on is her stride / lack of stride. We worked a few different things, but hard to get her comfortable actually striding. Feel like she’s leaving power on the table. She’s a tough little hitter and almost never strikes out, but just six XBH this summer. And gonna be tougher to beat out those infield singles in 12u....

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I like her swing. As Pattar mentioned a stride isn't necessary to hit with power.

I think she might need a little intent in her swing to hit the ball harder.

giphy.gif

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
When I say intent, I don't mean to just muscle up. Intent is like looking to do damage and hit the ball hard and well consistently.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
In all seriousness, a stride isn't necessary to generate power. Look at some of the swings in the No Stride thread on here and pick one you like and have her try to emulate the actions.
99% of MLB hitters have a stride. OP, go with the odds. Her no-stride is not working at the moment. Whoever told her to kill her stride - failed.

She needs to learn to coil inward properly as she moves/strides forward. Her swing needs some serious, immediate work. Time is her enemy.

How do I fix this?
Get in front of a mirror and take your stride, and hold a 45 degree inward coil (hip and shoulder) until landing. Do this for a few days until you get the hang of it.

You don't need to try to 'sit' or 'set' or 'crimp' your hip, or pick your front hip up in the air, or have a certain leg kick, just rotate your torso - it's simple. Make sure you are not just coiling inward over your back leg. Make sure you are coiling AS you go.

Tip: Keep the back heel on the ground as you stride using the back leg. Try not to turn your front knee over until toe touch.

Dad, you and her can learn this together in a few days.

Once you master this, add in pulling the back elbow back like a bow. Then, add in making sure the rear forearm is flat/level/horizontal at toe touch.

posey-coil-stride-catcher-view.gif

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Momentum is part of the equation. No stride hinders that but It gives a hitter more control. There’s a trade off.

Never seen a smallish hitter hit for consistent power with a no stride approach.

Hand path and barrel look good though. Keep working. Try the feet together drill. It can help get a feel for controlled momentum.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom