10u sportsmanship

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2011
The Fresno Force Classic is a big deal for teams coming out of NorCal, because it gives them a chance to play some of the top teams out of SoCal each year.

This year, the Case Batbusters were in Mojo's team's bracket, so I wanted to get a look at them before meeting in the 3rd game of the day. They beat 1 team 13-0, on the strength of 4 straight HRs. Then during the game against the team that our girls barely beat (5-4), something pretty special happened.

One of the big bombers on the team lined a shot right back into the pitcher's shin just as she was completing her landing and immediately collapsed. The coaches stopped their runners at 1 base. The blue called time and the defensive coach went to check on his player. During the timeout, the batter left 1st base of her own volition to go check on the pitcher once she was back on her feet and gave her a little hug right there in the circle.

The Batbusters went on to win that game 19-0, but what everyone will remember about that game was the incredible display of sportsmanship by a 10yo girl (and her coaches, too).

Jan 14, 2013
Massachusetts
That is so nice to see. That reminds me of a game a couple years ago when I was coaching, my 9 yo DD (at the time) was behind the plate when a batter from the other team ripped a line shot, foul. In the batter's haste, (a lefty) she let go of the bat and hit DD. It took a few minutes for DD to shake it off, but during this time the batter was in tears and had returned to her bench, not wanting to continue. Both teams encouraged the batter to continue the at bat, so when she finally got back to the plate, DD extended her hand to the batter and shook her hand letting the batter know she was OK.

We ended up losing that game, however DD received the MVP pin for her gesture. I sure was proud.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
And then, there was a 10U game here, where a batter accidentally got hit. Both the pitcher and the batter cried. The batter's coach had his team start cheering "Hit the pitcher, hit her, now!"

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
Kudos to the Batbusters- I always love watching them when they come out to Colorado. Showing class shows confidence in one's own true ability.

Feb 3, 2011
How did mojo's team do against the Batbusters?
In the biggest upset of the day, they played their best game of the season and beat the mighty Batbusters 3-1, which gave them the #1 seed out of their pool.

We were just hoping to stay within 9 runs in order to get the 2-seed. lol

May 21, 2012
And this is why I love little girls in this game we call softball... Most are such class acts while being competitive... Bravo to the coaches as well for teaching them to act this way...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2