10u rec league- very little support from parents

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 21, 2021
So I'm a new coach this year, and have very little support from parents as far as Team mom and assistants. Took forever to get anyone to say they would be team mom, and she barely shows up and still acts like she doesn't know what to do (been in in 6 years) , and I have 1 assistant who is very hands off and basically just tosses warm up to his daughter. And I had to handle ALL fundraising activities and sponsorships by myself ...
We had our 1st game Saturday , I was so mad by the end because I was doing everything !! Coaching is easy for me but having to do the in between inning stuff of organizing kids, helping our catcher get gear on and off, I even had to provide the snacks for after game!
So I am prepared to do it all for rest of year but come on , if you said you will help then PLEASE HELP !!!!
So sorry to vent here and not sure I can do anything about it but any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Good place to vent.

Really frustrating running the entire thing, I would quess you are not coming across well either. Been there done that.

Your age group I would try to get a MS or HS Player to help. They need community hours, easier then you think with a little work.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
Seriously, don't do all the other stuff yourself.

There is no way I am bring after game snacks to a game that I was the head coach for. When the game is over and one of the girls ask where is the after game snack? Tell them none of the parents were willing to bring them so you don't get one today.

Also, teach the girls to be responsible for themselves. If you continue to do everything for them they will not learn themselves. What age are we talking about? Why are you helping catchers get there gear on?

Jun 8, 2016
The kids probably eat enough cra*% at home, they don't need snacks after the game. It's softball, not sumo wresting. Just be happy if the kids are respectful and want to learn. I have kids on my 7U coach pitch baseball team telling me No when I ask them to try and do something...I am not sure I am going to last the whole year. I've already almost bit through my tongue at least 5 times..

Mar 10, 2020
Dont worry when you get into travel ball there will be plenty of parent's participating. They will be complaining about the parent who runs the team in a way they dont like, but coach will have the control of the team, not the rec league.

Jul 14, 2018
10U rec is almost impossible without help. If you have to be a base coach, there has to be someone in the dugout or it will be chaos. Batting out of order will be the least of your problems.

10U kids aren’t driving themselves, you might have to walk out the the parents and tell them that if you don’t have two volunteers there isn’t going to be a game. And you have enough to do without worrying about snacks.

I met Beth Torina when I was coaching 10U rec. When I told her what age level I was working with she folded her hands over her chest and said “Oh! Bless your heart!”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802