10u rec league- very little support from parents

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 6, 2016
Seriously, don't do all the other stuff yourself.

There is no way I am bring after game snacks to a game that I was the head coach for. When the game is over and one of the girls ask where is the after game snack? Tell them none of the parents were willing to bring them so you don't get one today.

Also, teach the girls to be responsible for themselves. If you continue to do everything for them they will not learn themselves. What age are we talking about? Why are you helping catchers get there gear on?

/\/\/\/\

THIS! 👆👆👆

10u? NO MORE F-ING after game snacks! No way.

As others have said, stop doing all the little BS stuff and somehow someway the girls will handle it or a parent will probably step up when you stop doing it. Kinda like I tell my wife and cleaning up and picking up after our DDs. STOP picking up their S#it and they will eventually do it on their own.

Man, when I was that age in the 70s in Texas, we shared a fricken hose for water (IF the coaches even allowed it) and hot dogs or Frito Pies were the "after game snacks" at the concession stand. Hell, my coach back then would spit nasty, brown Red Man tobacco on my pearly white Joe Namath cleats if we made an error or did something stupid. :sick: And ya didn't earn a damn trophy...unless you WON the Championship!!

Mar 6, 2016
You had cleats?! Man, we had to glue pull tabs from beer cans on our shoes if we wanted cleats! ;)

HA..you know I actually was just talking about those old soda can pull tabs to my kids a few weeks ago. lol tried to describe the "fun" it was to flick them at friends. Never mind that it was basically flicking razor blades at each other and leaving them on the ground all over. :rolleyes:

If you're over 50 like me you know how COOL the all white PONY or Spotbilt cleats were. Damn coach would come around spittin Red Man juice all over em. Good times!

Mar 21, 2021
Well here we are , year 3 , 10u Fastpitch recleague coach again. They sucked me in by promising to pair me with an assistant coach...never happened. Then there was a girl who played college and said she would coach with me, never showed and is now ghosting me. NO parents said they would help, however managed to a get a team mom but help has been minimal.
And didn't tell you I'm a cancer survivor and diabetic amputee so needless to say I shouldn't be coaching this team alone. Again.
Sorry, just had to vent a little...That being said, I drafted well and we got some ballers, love for them to get 1st place with their 1 Coach vs a freaking legion of helpers/coaches of some of the other teams

Dec 1, 2021
You absolutely need a bench boss, otherwise, so much of the gametime will be wasted with nobody on deck or ready to hit next. I agree with the replies about snacks aren't necessary. Most kids on my 10u rec team bring a granola bar or something similar (my rule is nothing bigger than that). Have a pizza party at the end of the season.

I'm very lucky with the amount of ACs I have but find a parent or two willing to be a base coach (its fun and not hard) so that you can better manage the team. My first 8u coaching season I taught my wife to do the book and she actually loves doing it now.

Apr 6, 2017
Snacks, no way. There’s probably a parent sitting next to the dugout. That should be your book person. They can learn. Usually there’s a mom the girls are afraid of. That should be your dug out batting order police. Make the dad warm up outfield and a base coach. Good luck!
Also- no food or family in dug out. Players and coaches only.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rathouse