10U Rec. help organizing practicec

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 13, 2018
+1 to the facemasks. I don't know if your league requires them, but our 10U travel and 2nd/3rd grade Rec programs do. I also coach my daughters K/1 rec team and, while they're not required and can play without them, I recommend to all the parents that they just get one and get used to it because it'll be required when they move up. And I found it makes the kids less scared of the ball, which is a plus.

I'm not sure what age our league doesn't require them anymore as my oldest is only 10U, but I think they've been doing it for long enough now that through at least 12U and most of 14U the girls just wear them because they're used to them.

Feb 19, 2016
Texas
Yep, face masks. In 10u rec, I carried around a picture in my phone of a girl who had a broken orbital. I only had to show one mom who came at me with "She's tough. Scars build character." The next practice her DD had a face mask. Our league only required the pitcher to have one, but we rotated everyone who wasn't an injury risk through the infield, and if you wanted to play in my infield, you had to have a mask on.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2017
You can do two practices of an hour each. I would do batting/base running on one day and fielding another.

They keys, as many have mentioned, are fundamentals and in general simplified approach to each task. If you are limited on time then keep warm-ups to a jog include any arm warm-up in your drills. Generally keep moving so drills should be 10-15 minutes and move on as you will do a bit each week.

Fly ball drill that bmakj mentioned is excellent for kids. Do outfield receiver drills too.

Infield don’t bother with every-days. I suggest the bucket-drill on YouTube. It is the concept of the drill where coaches roll balls to kids because you get eyes on all players and your rolls should be more consistent plus it is all about reps (you can do a bunch in a short time) and getting them comfortable.

Chardock point of position responsibilities is key so people know who should go where. Also to this point teach how to receive a force, how stand around the base for tag plays, it mostly about being in the correct spot not to get hurt.

Throw around the diamond (doesn’t have to be actual 60’) as this will help your team the most.

In recreation it is better to be good at a few key skills than introduce too many concepts. For example, make a list of 4-8 infield drills that reinforce a few skills and then rotate through so they see them every other week. You can always add later if necessary.

Finally first practice or two take the time to explain the drill and key points, then later you just reinforce them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 3, 2018
I coach 8u (ages 5-8) and assistant coach 10u. I have them wearing masks at age 5. By the time they're ready for the infield, they're already used to wearing the mask. That way they can focus on playing their position instead of getting used to a new piece of equipment. It makes even the OFers feel invincible.

As far as 10u practice, I'd make sure you identify pitchers early on and have them practicing their pitching every practice. Same with catchers. Pitching is about 80% of 10u softball. If you don't have girls that can throw strikes and do it consistently, you're looking at ending the game in the 2nd inning due to time limitations. And it's excruciating to watch. And the rest of the team gets bored. Really bored. Good catchers keep girls from stealing. That's run saving.

Sep 19, 2018
I have one definite pitcher. She pitched about 20 innings last year and has taken lessons over winter. Our LL Org is also springing for a a few group lessons with a local pitching coach. So I am hoping to identify 3 more that I can mix in. Luckily our league has a 5 run max per inning for the first 4 innings, then the last 2 (if time has not expired) are unlimited. Last year, I think we completed 6 innings 2 maybe 3 times.

I do feel like Catcher is the 2nd most important position. Our league has a max of 4 steals per inning, so that is not the issue. Last year we had 1 good catcher and then the rest. If the good catcher was not in, it seemed every other ball went to the back stop. Uhhgggg. between walks and trips to the back stop, excruciating is a good word.

May 2, 2018
Central Virginia
I am a lurker here but thought this would be a great post to jump in on for my first ever post. ;)

I coach both a 10U and 12U rec teams in central VA (Dixie). All of the comments are great so far. I can tell you how I personally run practices and my philosophy. First, I 100% agree about the fun aspect but I do not sacrifice fundamentals for fun. I look at "fun" as a general attitude and not necessarily just incorporating games. I think if you run a good practice and the girls see they are developing, softball will be fun for them. A fun game here or there is great but honestly the girls will appreciate a knowledgeable coach with a great attitude who makes the fundamental drills and development fun.

Do not underestimate the capability of all the girls, top to bottom. Coach fundamentals but do not sacrifice the development of the higher skilled players. The less skilled players will pick it up and actually develop faster.

OK, at the beginning of the season I send out a pretty long email to the parents explaining my philosophies and what I expect and what they should expect. In this I emphasize the need for practice time and practicing at home. I run 2 x 1.5-2 hour practices per week plus a combined (10U/12U) pitcher/catcher practice. You will not have time to pull pitchers out during normal practice time (nor should you) so for those girls who are serious about pitching, they need to be there. Good luck at 10U with pitchers (10U rec can make for some long innings).

This season I am incorporating a 30 minute HLT program into each practice. I split practices as some have already suggested between fielding and hitting/base running (teach the girls how to slide within the first few practices). Fast paced practices, many stations (especially during the hitting practice) to limit or negate standing around. There is a sense of satisfaction from a well run, fast-paced practice from coaches, players, and parents. Get the parents to volunteer their time so they can assist you during practice (this is important).

Good luck to you, there is immediate gratification the first time you see a girl celebrate a hit/pop fly catch/or any other thing they thought they couldn't do but did.

Jan 5, 2018
PNW
Thanks for the responses.

Definitely, fun then fundamentals. I want the kids have fun and want to come and play. Of course having some successes feeds into that as well. [MENTION=12839]bmakj[/MENTION], I've done a lot of your first drill. Last year, as an AC i took it as my personal mission with a couple of girls to get them beyond those drills and catching the ball consistently.

Make FUNdamentals...fun. Giving your players a strong foundation while having fun doing it will set them up for success and even more FUN and enjoyment later. As they get older no young lady wants to be the "one" that can't catch or throw well...even in rec league. Set them up for success now and into the future.

You'll do great. Just your curiosity to get help from others sets you ahead of the game. Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3girlsDad