10u practices

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2015
assuming you have had some games, so you know what you need to work (could be everything ;)) on.

is this rec or TB? do you have a wide range of skill sets? a lot depends on these items.

Feb 27, 2019
Not knowing if you have had games yet or not but I'd start with 70% of your time fielding, throwing, and defensive work and 30% on batting and pitchers getting work every practice. Eventually add in situational drills that caused problems in games.

Sep 29, 2014
and assign the kids and parents homework at least 15 minutes if there is no practice that day....if I've said it once I've said it a thousand times at this age the most important thing they can be doing on off nights is playing catch everyday, plus it's awesome bonding time some of the best conversations can be had in the backyard with your kid playing catch.

Jun 11, 2013
The best thing we ever did with our 10U team was scrimmage a lot. We would divide into 2 teams with a coach pitching and catching and play 6-8 innings a practice. It gave all the kids a chance to handle real chances and make real plays. We would practice 2 times a week so it was like having 6 games a week when you added in our real games. We would hustle in and out. We did a lot of BP prior to games so our hitting was fine, but this really helped. This was a rec team with a wide variety of talent. If it were a TB team I wouldn't have done the same.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
With a lot of the teams that I have coached I like to play some 'workup' at the end of practice. I designate 3 or 4 hitters. I put everyone else in the field at the normal positions. I pitch myself or have a coach do it. Whenever a hitter makes an out the players 'move up'. 1st base goes into hit, 2nd goes to 1st, SS goes to 2nd, 3rd goes to SS, LF comes into 3rd, CF goes LF, RF goes to CF, and the hitter who made the out goes out to RF. To spice it up if an outfielder catches a flyball she changes places with the hitter and comes in right away. If a hitter makes it around to home she gets to hit again, this encourages them to be aggressive on the bases. The players like it because they all get to play infield. Between hitters I remind the fielders to think about where the outs can be made. I use a bucket of balls to pitch so I don't have wait for a return throw. It helps to keep things moving.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
With a lot of the teams that I have coached I like to play some 'workup' at the end of practice. I designate 3 or 4 hitters. I put everyone else in the field at the normal positions. I pitch myself or have a coach do it. Whenever a hitter makes an out the players 'move up'. 1st base goes into hit, 2nd goes to 1st, SS goes to 2nd, 3rd goes to SS, LF comes into 3rd, CF goes LF, RF goes to CF, and the hitter who made the out goes out to RF. To spice it up if an outfielder catches a flyball she comes in to hit right away. If a hitter makes it around to home she gets to hit again. The players like it because they all get to play infield. Between hitters I remind the fielders to think about where the outs can be made. I use a bucket of balls to pitch so I don't have wait for a return throw. It helps to keep things moving.

I like this one a lot, especially at the younger ages where you are trying to build all-around players rather than the specificity that happens as they get older. It's also good for getting to see each player in different scenarios to evaluate their strengths and weaknesses.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
My daughters plays for a 10u travel team. They always start with a warmup. Warmup usually consist of a jog about 150- 200 yards. Then they do their butt kickers, cherry pickers, high knees, etc. Next they do a stretching. That is the warmup and last about 15 minutes.

Next, they go into throwing and catching to get the arms loose. They start off with an emphasis on proper mechanics, and proper footwork.

Those first two steps rarely change. We do that at the beginning of every practice.

What we do next pretty much always changes. It could be 4 corners, where we continue to work on throwing and footwork. We could do everyday drills where they partner up and work on ground balls. It could be a short 4 corners drill where we emphasize footwork and getting rid of the ball quickly. Possibly go right into ground ball work, I usually do a progression where I start off rolling balls to the girls and working my way up to hitting ground balls. When we are doing ground ball work I usually have two coaches rolling balls or hitting fungos, that way there is much less standing around.

Next, theye might possibly do outfield work. When doing outfiled work we generally start off with QB drills, and work on drop steps. Then we go into hitting flyballs and working on relay plays.

By the time we do some of the stuff mentioned above, I might start working on situational stuff such as bunt coverages, first and third situation, or getting an out at home in a do or die situation. I also like to work on run downs alot. I personally think that it takes alot of time to work on run downs and you have to do them relatively often to get good at them at the 10u age. Rundowns are not the type of thing that a team does one time and just gets it. I hate giving free bases.

That would be a somewhat typical fielding practice. Not enough time in a 2 hour practice to get everything done that mentioned but hopefully that will give you a few ideas.

Hitting practices are different but they always do a warmup and throwing progression before they start hitting.

Feb 13, 2018
assuming you have had some games, so you know what you need to work (could be everything ;)) on.

is this rec or TB? do you have a wide range of skill sets? a lot depends on these items.

It's definitely everything..local rec team moved to travel ball. Going to be a tough summer.

May 6, 2015
some great ideas above.

lots of fundamentals, throwing, catching. make certain they are using good form to throw, even if results seem worse at first. Also, make certain they are trying to break each others noses or break ribs when they are throwing to each other.... jk, well kinda.... too often at younger ages they start to take a lot off their throws because they do not want to hurt one another. if they are in TB, they should all be expected to be able to catch a hard thrown (age appropriate hard, ie not catch the hardest throw a D1 3B could make to 1B) ball.

other suggestions, KISS, if just moved from rec to TB. one bunt defense, get the out, forget the run (unless late in close game, then you will have to call time to explain what you want to defense though). also, teach them all to bunt.

most all, teach them to fail spectacularly, in practice and games. do not have them make safe plays, try for the great play. they will fail a lot, but you cannot learn where the line until you trip over it a couple dozen (or if you are like me hundred) times, but in the process they also learn how to push themselves. turn that double into a triple. go for that diving/showstring catch. try to pick off a few BR. try to turn two with one out to end an inning even if run from 3rd scores.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28