10u pitching offseason amount?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2018
I used a turf pitching mat with a power line painted on it. Have her stick her landing and freeze once pitch is released. It's easier for them to comprehend when they have a visual of their foot placement.
This was a big game-changer for DD. Her biggest problem was that her stride was all over the place. Those mats are on the expensive side (about $180, if I remember correctly), but totally worth it. DD spent most of one winter working on her drive -- she didn't even have a ball in her hand. Just pushing off the rubber and sticking her landing on the power line. It's a huge part of pitching.

Jan 28, 2017
Turf mat, target to hit (dot, string, bullseye), shoes, ball on a stick, were the things that really helped my DD at 10. We have always thrown from 43 feet except a day or so before a tournament. 3X a week and once with our PC.

Funny story, I'm cheep and was trying to get by without buying a mat. I was supposed to mow and we were pitching in the yard instead. I had two sticks to mark the rubber because my DD can never line up in a straight line. My wife ran over one stick with the lawnmower and then the other one. I walked inside and bought a mat. Saved a marriage also.

Jul 16, 2018
Id also add - its not a bad idea to kick around the idea of long tossing. As basic as I can put it - helps build arms strength but most importanly - it makes you think about your lower half

There are many videos and lots of information on it out there some of its pretty good and some of its pretty bad. Since you are working with a PC - talk to them about it. If you're getting 2 x in a week that would be an excellent warmup/workout before a pitching session.Develops arm strength and she really has to drive the further she goes out. I wouldnt recommend 2x a week at this age (but like I said talk to the pitching coach and see what they would recommend) But hell at least 1 day on the weekend shouldnt hurt. Best thing about it - she decides when its over. Arm not feeling it - stop. Arm is feeling great and loose - keep going until it doesnt - then stop. But get the okay from the coach first and foremost.

You could actually turn that into a pretty cool little game which of course always help in helps in the "Hey i do want to practice this" category and saves the technique for the PC (which will save you a lot of headache in the long run) Anyways - just an idea .

May 20, 2016
You could actually turn that into a pretty cool little game

I've been doing that with my DD for a couple years. Start at the rubber and if she throws 3/5 as strikes she gets to move back 5 feet. Misses 3/5 and has to go to last spot she made them from and start again. She gets all fired up and now can do pretty well from the grass behind 2nd.

Feb 7, 2013
Ok great insight I'm new to softball I played baseball but different mechanics. She is very willing at 10 should any lifting of weights become involved or is that something after they hit growth spurt. She tops out at 40 now not that I'm working on speed definitely working on good mechanics speed will come with time.
No weights needed (or recommended). DD didn't lift any weights until high school ball and even then it was "less weight, more reps" routine.

Aug 1, 2019
Very good info talked with pitching coach today on what will be the best for her talking with her about many different things. Just don't want to overdue it very thankful for great advice.

Feb 25, 2018
My favorite training quote by Peter Coe,
father/coach of Seb Coe:

"Goals are best achieved by doing the least amount of work necessary, not the most, because the goal is freedom from injury as well as continued improvement over the next several years. The greedier athletes become, the sooner they are spent."

Seb Coe (current head of the IAAF) was a middle distance runner that won multiple Oly medals. Of course he didn't run just one mile a week. Of course you can't pitch once a week and get better, either. But I do think way too many pitchers, of all ages, over do it.

Central nervous system fatigue often sets in way before physical fatigue.

Pay attention to your daughters cues in terms of when she's had enough. There will be days that she'll be best served by stopping a session after her warm up.

Oct 19, 2019
For the life of me I can not figure out people who say "NEVER lift weights!!!" and then follow it up with "only do bodyweight exercises."

Which of the following weighs more:

A. 80 pounds of iron
B. 80 pounds of feathers
C. 80 pounds of flesh blood and bone
D. 80 pounds of delicious taffy
E. They all weigh 80 pounds

May 2, 2018
Central Virginia
For the life of me I can not figure out people who say "NEVER lift weights!!!" and then follow it up with "only do bodyweight exercises."

Which of the following weighs more:

A. 80 pounds of iron
B. 80 pounds of feathers
C. 80 pounds of flesh blood and bone
D. 80 pounds of delicious taffy
E. They all weigh 80 pounds

Not sure if your serious but :rolleyes:

If you don’t know the difference between lifting a certain amount of direct weight (squats/bench/press) vs distributed body weight exercises then I’m not sure what to tell you.

Also, I am pretty nobody has said to NEVER lift weights.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802