10u pitching offseason amount?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2015
I don't think It's ever too early to start with simple body weight exercises like push ups and planks.

I would add in some light band work to help strengthen the rotator cuff - which will also help with her overhand throws.

If you stroll through TJ Maxx / Marshalls / Ross / etc., you're likely to find packs of resistance bands (usually with a light, med, and heavy-ish band in each) for around $5-$7. I even found a slam ball (medicine ball, but with a little bounce) for much less than what I was seeing in Dick's or even Walmart.

Austin Wasserman has a Youngbloods Training Manual which, as the name implies, is geared towards youth athletes. (www.highlevelthrowing.com)

Jul 16, 2018
How much she pitches (assuming she has proper teaching and fundamentals) will directly correlate with success and progress.

My 9 year old started lessons and went from P4 to P1 in 6 months entirely due to working hard and often. All 4 girls had lessons together at the same frequency and the same teacher. It's the hard work between lessons that will make her good. It's just simple life lesson stuff. If you want it and work towards it, you can make it happen. If you don't want it as much, that's perfectly fine. Let her guide the journey and you help her make it happen. Get a bucket, get a glove, show her you'll invest time as she does. It's fun and very rewarding.

Pitching daily seems excessive to me, but 4-5 days per week, 80 pitches per session is about what you'll hear many P1s put in - a lesson counts towards that number, as do some team practices. We almost always take the day before and the day after a tournament off.

Im aware of the practice to performance correlation. I was being a smart rear more than anything. We both agree though (at least it seems) - if you want to do A then you have to do B. And if you dont want to do B then A isnt going to happen.

Jul 16, 2018
I don't think It's ever too early to start with simple body weight exercises like push ups and planks.

I would add in some light band work to help strengthen the rotator cuff - which will also help with her overhand throws.

If you stroll through TJ Maxx / Marshalls / Ross / etc., you're likely to find packs of resistance bands (usually with a light, med, and heavy-ish band in each) for around $5-$7. I even found a slam ball (medicine ball, but with a little bounce) for much less than what I was seeing in Dick's or even Walmart.

Austin Wasserman has a Youngbloods Training Manual which, as the name implies, is geared towards youth athletes. (www.highlevelthrowing.com)

My DD is also a cheerleader and I they do a bunch of body weight stuff primarily. They start them as young as 7 building them up with that. her Middle School has weights for 7th/8th graders and shes really looking forward to taking that next semester.

Sep 29, 2014
I would stay away from weights at this age...honestly would not even dream about it until teen years. Bodyweight exercises are fine just stick to those; I think if you are attending pitching lessons once a week and practicing every other day working on things pitching coach is talking about that should be fine for now.

NOW THE ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM.... if she is not learning proper mechanics all those pitching session are actually having a negative impact because they are ingraining muscle memory but that muscle memory is of the improper mechanics that she will have to unlearn to be competitive later. So ask yourself what are the top 3 or top 5 things PC is teaching...list those out and we can probably tell you if you are on the right path.

Aug 1, 2019
Main things at first first was hopping which was illegal pitch I could not see it when I was catching her we got that fixed it was frustrating for her but now all gone. Biggest thing keeping her straight while through the pitch stride always tends to stride to the right even though she is right handed.

Apr 20, 2017
As others have said keep it fun for her but challenge her at times. In 10u we basically pitched every other day but always the day after a lesson. For us at that stage drills were one of the things we did the most. Make sure you understand the correct mechanics of the drill and keep her on track. Many girls that age just want to throw pitches. But the drills will make a huge difference. Another thing we always did in winter after last tournament was work on increase in speed. We would take a little time off then speed until first of the year. Then start dialing in the new speed with control.

May 20, 2016
Biggest thing keeping her straight while through the pitch stride always tends to stride to the right even though she is right handed.

I used a turf pitching mat with a power line painted on it. Have her stick her landing and freeze once pitch is released. It's easier for them to comprehend when they have a visual of their foot placement.

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
That sounds just about right. As others have said, your daughter should be the one initiating at this point. There will be plenty of times where she has to go and throw even if she's not feeling it if she continues along the pitching path.

One more important point about the time you spend catching her on a bucket -- don't let her get frustrated. It's too early in the game to try and battle through an issue she's having. She doesn't yet have the experience or muscle control take make adjustments on the fly. If you go out to the yard, and she can't manage to throw a ball anywhere near your glove, it's time to stop and go get ice cream.
It doesn't sound like this would be the case with the OP, but I would also encourage him/her not to get frustrated and expect more of his DD at this age than she can give. Balls will be flying over you head, bouncing three feet to your left, and hitting your shins. It is just part of it and, before long, that stuff will be happening less and less and then mostly not at all. Just enjoy the grind and watching her get better. As RickM suggested, better to walk away after a 15 minute practice and get after it tomorrow than risk everyone ending up crying. Keep it fun and positive.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28