10u Pitcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 16, 2019
This is my sis in 2nd year of 10u. She has pitched in the past with HE because we didn't know any better 🙃 Last year, she primarily played first and loves it, but our team is struggling for pitchers at the moment so Coach asked her to give it another go. I've read through the I/R threads and saved a doc someone made of BoardMember's posts with gifs. We started with the lock it in drill and 9:00, but she got annoyed with me pretty quick. She doesn't really like that we're trying something new. This is video of her from last night. I know she needs to work on keeping palm up and leading with elbow, but overall what do you all think?

Nov 8, 2018
At 9 o’clock have her not move her body and work I’m relaxing and finding brush and whip and IR. Things in the beginning will always fall apart the more you progress. Start small, work to more. Lock it in. If she can’t relax and find IR there you may want to stay there awhile.
Then 9 stationary. No movement. Then move on.

Hey. Show her you tube of the best of the best. Monica, cat, Yukiko , etc. say I’m training you to be like her and her and her. That’s why we are changing.
Good luck. Keep posting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 19, 2018
She looks like an athletic young lady. She moves very easily. I agree with DrR about possibly showing her video of the best. See if that drives her a little.

This is a very quick and possibly unfair assessment. But she looks like my dd (also going into 2nd year 10U) when I am pushing her to do something she does not want to. If you are pushing it is not likely to go very far. If you can some how lead her to wanting to do this it will be much more fun for everyone involved.

Nov 18, 2015
While palm up is the goal, it sometimes ends up being a “position”, rather than an “action”. It looks like she starts at palm up (position), but she’s not understanding the goal (IR of the hand/forearm), and quickly turns palm down once her arm drops.

Have her lead with her pinky all the way to her hip - it may distract her HE instincts just long enough to get a few “whippy” throws off and start ingraining the new pattern.

Oct 16, 2019
Ps. She’s 10? She looks 13. My lord.

Haha yes I know. She's a giant compared to the rest of her team. She'll be 11 in January. I'll show her videos of pitchers today. I'll have her start doing just with lock it in. She always wants to do her full motion, so it'll be a process just to do a little at a time. Thanks

Nov 8, 2018
Haha yes I know. She's a giant compared to the rest of her team. She'll be 11 in January. I'll show her videos of pitchers today. I'll have her start doing just with lock it in. She always wants to do her full motion, so it'll be a process just to do a little at a time. Thanks

She can do full motion but help her understand she will throw exactly like before. That’s why making a change like this in season is detrimental. Should never be done. Nows the time.
Get that muscle memory going and progress ONLY as fast as she can do the drills 80% correct. If she can do lock it in 8/10 perfect. Do them and add 9 o’clock. If she can only do 1/10 correct there just slow the arm down till her average goes up. Or start at 9 go down to lock it in then continue.
The idea is to not progress faster than she can do it right.

Oct 16, 2019
She looks like an athletic young lady. She moves very easily. I agree with DrR about possibly showing her video of the best. See if that drives her a little.

This is a very quick and possibly unfair assessment. But she looks like my dd (also going into 2nd year 10U) when I am pushing her to do something she does not want to. If you are pushing it is not likely to go very far. If you can some how lead her to wanting to do this it will be much more fun for everyone involved.

No your assessment is correct. She likes pitching, but change she does not. I'm definitely going to find a way for to want to pitch this way. I told her last night that it will help her be more consistent in the long run which = more pitching time, so hopefully that will work.

Oct 16, 2019
She can do full motion but help her understand she will throw exactly like before. That’s why making a change like this in season is detrimental. Should never be done. Nows the time.
Get that muscle memory going and progress ONLY as fast as she can do the drills 80% correct. If she can do lock it in 8/10 perfect. Do them and add 9 o’clock. If she can only do 1/10 correct there just slow the arm down till her average goes up. Or start at 9 go down to lock it in then continue.
The idea is to not progress faster than she can do it right.

Got it. That makes a lot of sense. I think I will try and make it a competition between us to hopefully get her more interested in doing the drills this way. She'd get a kick out of beating me and telling everyone she's better than me.

Apr 12, 2015
She has a lot of HE mechanics that aren't being addressed in this motion. Gags is correct in that she starts in the correct position but as soon as the motion starts, she shifts to a palm down position and pushes the ball. She is also trying to clear her hips by sticking her butt out.

First, get her in the "stability" position. On the power line like she is. From there, have her tighten her stomach muscles (like she would if someone...maybe an older sister) was about to punch her in the gut. While she is doing that, have her squeeze her butt cheeks together. Cracking a walnut is a cue I use. Doing this will feel uncomfortable, but it will also make it impossible for her to clear her hips.

From there, get her into the 9:00 position and focus on NOTHING but pulling the ball down into the throw rather than pushing it. Don't worry about IR, don't worry about release, don't worry about none of that. Only focus on pulling the ball down into the throw and keeping the ball pointed to the sky for as long as possible. Doing this will let IR and the other things take care of themselves. Right now, the most important step is to reprogram her brain to pull the ball, not push it.

If that isn't working take the softball away and give her a small football. Make her throw upward-slanted spirals with it. In other words, a spiral but with the nose of the football pointing at least 45 degrees (preferably more) to the sky.

If the football doesn't work take that away and give her a dish towel and do towel snaps with it.

The point is to retrain her brain to a pulling motion instead of a pushing motion. Until that is corrected just about anything else will be a waste of time.

It really won't take long with a little focus. Once she is consistently pulling the ball down without thinking about it, she'll be ready to move on.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802