10u girls using The Ghost

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Since there alot of knowledgeable folks in here when it comes to bats, I have a question. My daughter plays 10U with the 11" RIF 1 compression ball and I have always wondered if it is even worth the money to purchase a bat like the Ghost when hitting that softer ball? My thought was that the the composite bats like the Ghost are more suited to work with the harder balls that she will be using in 12U and up, and for now a hybrid composite handle/aluminum barrel bat would be recommended. Am I thinking about this wrong?

P.S. first post, but have reading and learning alot over the last few month's. Thank you

With what I call a "safety" ball or a 'softy," I would recommend switching her to drop ten in the very near future as long as it doesn't affect her mechanics or swing speed. In other words, go in small increments for now. An inch of bat length usually is equivalent to an ounce of weight as far as swing weight and bat speed goes. An ounce of weight will do the same. So, say your DD swings a 28/27 for example, going to a 29/29 would add approximately 3 ounces as far as her swing speed would go. This will affect not only her swing speed, but her mechanics as well.

Either way, physics will still come into play....Velocity times mass equals exit speed. Yes, it's not Einstein but it's still the truth. There are other forces that come into play (such as trampoline effect, bat speed, pitched ball speed etc. etc.) but it's the simplest solution to what you are asking. Plus, she will need a -10 when it comes to true fastpitch at the next level she plays so why not make the move now?

Aug 7, 2017
Thanks Yocoach. She is using a 31/18 hybrid bat now (Demarini Bustos), so I will slowly start to work my way down to a drop 10 but keep the length at 31 for awhile. She is not swinging early with the lighter bat (most of her hits are up the middle), so I haven't been in a hurry to get a heavier bat.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Since there alot of knowledgeable folks in here when it comes to bats, I have a question. My daughter plays 10U with the 11" RIF 1 compression ball and I have always wondered if it is even worth the money to purchase a bat like the Ghost when hitting that softer ball? My thought was that the the composite bats like the Ghost are more suited to work with the harder balls that she will be using in 12U and up, and for now a hybrid composite handle/aluminum barrel bat would be recommended. Am I thinking about this wrong?

P.S. first post, but have reading and learning alot over the last few month's. Thank you

Well, sorta. To quickly answer your question...no, if you are using a "softie" or rubber ball, there is no point to dropping huge coin on a bat that wont hit it much better
than any other bat.

Once you move to a regular ball, even if its lower compression, that's when the better bats come into play.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Thanks Yocoach. She is using a 31/18 hybrid bat now (Demarini Bustos), so I will slowly start to work my way down to a drop 10 but keep the length at 31 for awhile. She is not swinging early with the lighter bat (most of her hits are up the middle), so I haven't been in a hurry to get a heavier bat.

You don't have to spend big money on composites. You could go metal which are far cheaper then switch to a composite when she gets to the harder ball. The big thing is getting her bat weight up to a drop 10 so she can take full advantage of a bat like the Ghost when she needs it and is ready for it. A metal bat will actually work better on the softies IMO.

Aug 7, 2017
Thanks, I appreciate the insight. It will give me time to save up for a Ghost or whatever new bat Demarini dreams up.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2