10U DD Need Some New Bat Advice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2018
Hopefully she will have about 4 games. But different pitchers can create bias. It might be good to switch every other at bat if possible. Yeah, I screwed up. It was a Demarini Prism. I think it is profoundly overpriced, and the first model was a dud IMHO. None of the girls use it any more.

Interesting. At the elite tournament we played in this weekend, my unscientific observation saw about 8/10 girls with either a dual or advanced Ghost, 1 out of 10 with a Prism and 1 out of 10 with something else like a CF8.

Jun 8, 2016
Interesting. At the elite tournament we played in this weekend, my unscientific observation saw about 8/10 girls with either a dual or advanced Ghost, 1 out of 10 with a Prism and 1 out of 10 with something else like a CF8.
Sounds about right. I think 3/4 of the kids on my DD's 12U team have a Ghost. Oh and the team is hitting about .200 right now 😫

Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines

I don't know about the current Ghost. But I can say that my first year impression was that the bat had a small sweet spot. There were a lot of dud sounds coming off the bat. But I am sure they are aware of that. The CF9 had a huge sweet spot and exit speed though totally legal in all associations. What hurt sales initially I think was it was called, "CF9 Slapper". It does make a great slapper bat. But it also won mechanical hitting distance competitions and best bat of 2017 I think it was. So light does not necessarily mean light hitting. It does mean added bat control and swing speed.
I judge bats by:
1) Can the hitter swing the bat efficiently
2) Are they making contact
3) "Sweet spot" creates higher average exit speed along the length of the barrel
4) Power

There is a girl here in the Philippines. Quite big, plays 1B. Clumsy, can't field bunts well, can't move athletically. She had 41 AB in the last tournament in the fall. Top high school teams in the Philippines. In 41 AB's she got 3 base hits. 2 were off changeups. The the other was a 240 foot homerun over the fence. She hit .073 for the tournament, was placed on the Junior National Team by the youth President. And all anyone talked about was her home run. The other girls hit them just as far, at least over the 220 fence on field 1. The other National Team players hit between .400 - .660 but it was the championship game and all the officials were watching. And knowledgeable coaches here are shaking their heads. I am not interested in your one at bat. It reminds me of my grandmothers $250,000 lost at the river-boat but once won $2000.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2018
I don't know about the current Ghost. But I can say that my first year impression was that the bat had a small sweet spot. There were a lot of dud sounds coming off the bat. But I am sure they are aware of that. The CF9 had a huge sweet spot and exit speed though totally legal in all associations. What hurt sales initially I think was it was called, "CF9 Slapper". It does make a great slapper bat. But it also won mechanical hitting distance competitions and best bat of 2017 I think it was. So light does not necessarily mean light hitting. It does mean added bat control and swing speed.
I judge bats by:
1) Can the hitter swing the bat efficiently
2) "Sweet spot" creates higher average exit speed
3) Power

Makes sense. At least in our area, the consensus has become that:

1. The Dual Ghost is a better performer than the Advanced and also beats it in sweet spot size.
2. The Advanced is more fragile.

Oct 4, 2018
Most girls on my DD's teams (10U and 12U) use the Ghost. And they do very well with it. None have broken. I'm a big fan.

I think you're going about it correctly. Try a lot of bats. If you can get to one of the stores where they let her swing bats off the machine that tracks exit speed, that can be very helpful. Girls will see the numbers and gain confidence in the feel of the bat with the fastest exit speed. Then you can feel pretty good that they are both picking the right bat *and* that they'll have confidence in it.

Apr 20, 2015
Very few ghosts used in my daughter's organization as a whole and they are very elite. Multiple top 10 and above finishes in PgF national premier division. Demarini Phenix is popular with the older girls. Zen and prism with the younger ones. Honestly its the Indian not the arrow so what ever she feels best with will work best.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802