10u Control when throwing back to pitcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 14, 2019
My nine year old has an amazing overhand throw. One day it is going to come in very handy when she is throwing people out. However, she is really struggling with control when throwing it back to the pitcher. Most of her throws are good but way way too hard for them to catch. She plays both rec and travel. The travel girls do a little better catching from her but even they have literally had their glove knocked off by one of her throws. We have talked to her about it and tried practicing just throwing it back nicely, but when she gets pumped up and excited she let's it rip. Any advice on helping her control her arm when throwing it back would be great. Thanks.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
First a disclaimer
Without seeing video of what she is doing, or the level of other players...will respond with general feedback.

It is good to throw back to the pitcher assertively.
Pitcher puts energy on the ball.
Catcher puts energy back.
Keeps a nice crisp game dynamic.

Diagnosing the element of
How hard is the throw?
Q- is she bursting out like throwing to 2nd base, but throwing to the pitcher?
Q- Are her throws even stronger to 2nd?
Q- Does the pitcher pitch the same speed your daughter throws the ball back?

At some point a simple assessment of the talent level she is playing with ( not age ) comes into the equation.
For example,
Q- Do batters hit the ball as hard or harder than she throws?

Often i use this verbage~
Even super hero's have to learn how to control their super powers ;) practice.

That said,
Would not restrict throwing assertively!!!!!
(as to not hold her back below a healthy standard)
The teammates learning to catch the ball is part of this learning curve also!

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2019
First a disclaimer
Without seeing video of what she is doing, or the level of other players...will respond with general feedback.

It is good to throw back to the pitcher assertively.
Pitcher puts energy on the ball.
Catcher puts energy back.
Keeps a nice crisp game dynamic.

Diagnosing the element of
How hard is the throw?
Q- is she bursting out like throwing to 2nd base, but throwing to the pitcher?
Or is this just only arm?
Q- Are her throws even stronger to 2nd?
Q- Does the pitcher pitch the same speed your daughter throws the ball back?

At some point a simple assessment of the talent level she is playing with ( not age ) comes into the equation.

Heres another way to view the situation,
Q- Do batters hit the ball as hard or harder than she throws?

Often i use this verbage~
Even super hero's have to learn how to control their super powers ;) practice.

That said,
Would not restrict throwing assertively!!!!!
(as to not hold her back below a healthy standard)
The teammates learning to catch the ball is part of this learning curve also!
The pitcher cannot pitch as hard as she throws on either team. She can throw back without full body like the speed of a line drive hit. When she is pumped up and the game is getting exciting she has a tendency to throw in with her whole body like she would throwing someone out at second. She can throw to 2nd and 3rd and 1st very efficiently but in her last travel she hit the third baseman right in the chest and knocked the air out of her. She had 2 overthrows last night at her game, not great but is is going to happen at her age sometimes. I asked our local HS coach his opinion, his daughter pitched for a D2 school and he said he would never have her tone it down, the pitchers need to get better. But I worry about her hurting someone. The rec league has already requested she go ahead and move up to 12u next year.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Yes it happens where players/catchers throw harder than their teammates are used to.
Happens in older ages too.
High school with mixed talent levels on teams happens often.

Move up is a good thing.
Agree to not hold back.
Generally people/parents may consider the
Older girl conversations she may hear.

imo
Softball is talent levels,
not age levels.
As for the older girl chit chat, thats a parenting decision knowing their daughters maturity level.
Generally in school kids are around older kids to hear the same stuff 💁...

Controlling emotions, even excitement, is something she can learn.
( like others have to learn the emotion of defeat and not showing bad body posture)

( saying this for all age's)

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2015
1. Switch her to pitcher? :)
2. As a stop-gap, make sure she doesn't step closer to the pitcher before throwing it back, to give the pitcher more time. (don't close the gap).
3. If she hit the 3B in the chest, that's a sign she shouldn't be playing 3B. I have no doubt she has a strong arm. But a 3B, even at 10U TB, will likely see a line drive hit at them (while playing in front of the bag) at least as hard as your daughter is throwing (from 60'). Hopefully the coach saw this as a warning sign and will be working with or replacing the current 3B. (Not that you were looking for any opinions on this aspect of your post).
4. Rec league should be almost over - at 12U, most leagues allow steals of home, so a crisp throw back to the pitcher will only be a benefit from here on out.

May 6, 2015
do not ask her to dial it back.

move her up in rec ball, TB teammates should be able to handle her stuff. in recc, is another C a possibility at least for some of the time, might also be beneficial for your DD, make her a little more versatile.

Jun 14, 2019
1. Switch her to pitcher? :)
2. As a stop-gap, make sure she doesn't step closer to the pitcher before throwing it back, to give the pitcher more time. (don't close the gap).
3. If she hit the 3B in the chest, that's a sign she shouldn't be playing 3B. I have no doubt she has a strong arm. But a 3B, even at 10U TB, will likely see a line drive hit at them (while playing in front of the bag) at least as hard as your daughter is throwing (from 60'). Hopefully the coach saw this as a warning sign and will be working with or replacing the current 3B. (Not that you were looking for any opinions on this aspect of your post).
4. Rec league should be almost over - at 12U, most leagues allow steals of home, so a crisp throw back to the pitcher will only be a benefit from here on out.
My mom pitched in HS and is convinced if we flip that arm underhand she will be heading to the olympics...lol.

They can steal home in our league now. She is loving running them back. I just want her to be consistent and not playing burn out with the pitcher.

Nov 4, 2015
Either move her to a more talented team or teach her to play catch. Other 9 year olds are learning to play along with your DD. At 9, while she was learning to play/pitch, my DD would have been miserable with a catcher lighting her up every throw. Fast forward 5 years and DD can throw harder than most of her catchers underhand or overhand.

Jun 14, 2019
Either move her to a more talented team or teach her to play catch. Other 9 year olds are learning to play along with your DD. At 9, while she was learning to play/pitch, my DD would have been miserable with a catcher lighting her up every throw. Fast forward 5 years and DD can throw harder than most of her catchers underhand or overhand.

I totally agree which is why I want to fix this issue. She is the youngest and smallest on her travel team and is one of the youngest on her rec team as well. I would love tips on correcting her throwback speeds to the pitcher.

Nov 18, 2015
Have her throw it as if the pitcher has a sore hand/finger - you don't need to lob it, but it doesn't need to "smack" into her glove either.
If enthusiasm is still an issue, tell her to pretend she's throwing an egg. At least then if she throws it too hard (for an egg), it will be just the right speed for a beginner pitcher.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28