10U Coaches: You Have One Job – Player Development

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 26, 2021
Is there a balance between winning and development though? I’m a 10u coach and I was all into development 100% and I told the team I don’t care about our record. Then we lost 7 games in a row. The other teams aren’t doing the development thing. They’re playing to win every game.

The girls have been pretty down on themselves that we didn’t have more wins. So I figured we’d play a couple games hard to get that win. Took 3 games playing like that, but we did eventually get it and the girls definitely seemed happy about it. Would you argue I still should’ve ignored that and let them keep losing?

I had to put the best girls in the infield. I had to put the best players at the top of the lineup, and I had to pitch only my best pitchers.

Is it worth it to keep a balance? Sounds like from this article there shouldn’t be since it’s development full stop. Opinions?

Oct 14, 2019
Is there a balance between winning and development though? I’m a 10u coach and I was all into development 100% and I told the team I don’t care about our record. Then we lost 7 games in a row. The other teams aren’t doing the development thing. They’re playing to win every game.

The girls have been pretty down on themselves that we didn’t have more wins. So I figured we’d play a couple games hard to get that win. Took 3 games playing like that, but we did eventually get it and the girls definitely seemed happy about it. Would you argue I still should’ve ignored that and let them keep losing?

I had to put the best girls in the infield. I had to put the best players at the top of the lineup, and I had to pitch only my best pitchers.

Is it worth it to keep a balance? Sounds like from this article there shouldn’t be since it’s development full stop. Opinions?
I believe every girl should get equal development time in practice. At 10U, I would have every girl practice infield and outfield and participate in all drills equally (except for pitchers and catchers). I would bat the entire roster and switch up the batting lineup game to game. Depending on the size of the roster, I would not have any girl sit more than one inning. I would have no problem having players play the majority of the game at one position. I would try to have at least 3 pitchers and at least 2 catchers.

May 26, 2021
I believe every girl should get equal development time in practice. At 10U, I would have every girl practice infield and outfield and participate in all drills equally (except for pitchers and catchers). I would bat the entire roster and switch up the batting lineup game to game. Depending on the size of the roster, I would not have any girl sit more than one inning. I would have no problem having players play the majority of the game at one position. I would try to have at least 3 pitchers and at least 2 catchers.
For games it’s required that no one sits twice unless everyone has already sit once (which never happens). Varying the lineup is the biggest issue to ever getting a win. There are girls that are a very high chance of being an out. If I put them at the top of the lineup, they’ll get up twice and likely we will lose the game. We lost 7 in a row doing that and that’s what I told the team o would do at the beginning of the season.

But morale goes down with 0 wins. I feel bad for the girls that work hard day in and out because they want to get better and honestly want to win that I purposely play positions and lineup that I know is going to lose us games.

This thread and a bit in the article almost make it sound like it’s 100% about development and we shouldn’t worry if we lose every game. That’s what I said at the beginning of the season, but in practice is that really always best? Balance seems to me to be ideal rather than extreme one way or the other. Isn’t there benefit on teaching the girls to compete and seeing the benefit of their hard work too?

If you were to watch my teams last three games, you might think I’m not trying to develop the girls. Best girls playing infield, best lineup I could come up with, and pulling pitchers out if they’re walking everyone. Really working hard for that win. Is that never ok in 10u? We’re not the best team. If I don’t do that on occasion, we’re going to end with 0 wins. The girls do care.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2015
Yes there is a balance. There are games/tournaments that matter more than others. For example consolation game in a nothing winter tournament where you had a rough pool play and didn’t make the championship bracket you play everyone. Stupid local tournaments that mean nothing you play everyone. Bigger tournaments that you’ve laid out more investment in you play your better players more but you still make an effort to make sure everyone has a roll courtesy run, pinch hit at bat something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rathouse