10U Catcher - throwing confidence

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 22, 2016
Southern California
My daughter is not weak for her age and average size for a 2011 player. She seems to have confidence issues when she throws, and likes to "get it there" rather than fire it. Looking for any tips mechanically or mentally on how to overcome this.

Video below from a game this past weekend to help illustrate - thanks!

Apr 20, 2015
Looked pretty good to me for a 2011. Keep working down the path you are on. Reps bring confidence. Maybe have her practice with an older player she knows will catch it so she doesn't worry so much, but her first baseman did a nice job for her.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Oct 26, 2019
Yea I would say pretty solid. If you watch the specific throw in the video again she never really got her feet under her which probably caused the lack of velo. Sometimes you gotta do that though to be quicker and she got the out so - good job!

Jun 26, 2019
Maybee for a practice once in a while, you could shorten the base paths. Put throw down bases 5 feet shorter. When they are that young it takes alot just to get it there. Shortening the bases will push her to work on being quicker. Looks like she is doing fine though. One other thing to mention is that knowing when you need to fire it vs when you have an extra second or two will come with time.
One other thing I am going to try with my girls is to start out practicing defense slow enough to make every throw, then speed up to as fast as you possibly can, then reps in the middle. Hopefully the reps in between will get better. I tell my girls not to try to do something faster in a game than you have practiced. Wamt to do it faster thats great! Practice faster first!

May 6, 2015
Make certain she knows, and her coach(es) are on the same page, if she makes a good hard throw, and whomever misses it, or is not there on throwdowns to 2B, it is not her fault.

Catcher cannot take time to see if someone is covering, they have to fire.

I also did some closed eye throwing with DD on throwdowns to 2B. she started with ball in glove in stance, and popped up and fired, all eyes closed. throws were pretty hard, as she was less focused on target, more on throw itself. she was amazed at how accurate she actually was (80% witin 24 inches of the bag in all directions), I told why, 2B does not move. you throw to the bag, not the person covering.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
For her age, that was pretty damned good!! The footwork for fielding bunts is something that takes practice and repetition. One of the basic ideas is that we want our feet in in position to throw before we pick up the ball.

Also, 1B did an excellent job of hauling in that throw! :)

Jun 26, 2019
Agreed!
The 3rd baseman and pitcher were also coming for it fast and hard, had it been a little harder or different location, they still would have gotten the out most likely. There is a lot to like in that play, if they keeps progressing they will be fun to watch for a long time

Mar 22, 2016
Southern California
For her age, that was pretty damned good!! The footwork for fielding bunts is something that takes practice and repetition. One of the basic ideas is that we want our feet in in position to throw before we pick up the ball.

That 1B is a 2012 - so she's 8U eligible. We call her Lefty, and she made about 3-4 of these types of plays in this particular doubleheader. Was so awesome to watch her.

@John 800 The team is coming together nicely - one of those pandemic-created teams from last summer that just wanted to play ball. It's mostly a 2011 team with three 2012s. It's an independent team, and for now the vibe is good and the girls love being around each other. I know the head coach intends on ramping up the intensity as we clear August and add another player or two, but my DD is enjoying the ride so far.

May 23, 2015
Catching is a tough job, but shes looking really good. Lord knows I hate to critique a 10 year old. Here's a few tips to speed her up and build her confidence. Stuff i would never worry about with a 10yo.....

The girl shows bunt way early and she doesn't prepare

She fields the ball off her front foot which ties her legs up

Shes then rushes and doesn't set her feet properly for her throw.

Bad sequencing. Round the ball off, set her feet, scoop the ball towards her back foot, and make the throw
20210805_205444.jpgScreenshot_20210805-205244_Chrome.jpg

Mar 22, 2016
Southern California
Catching is a tough job, but shes looking really good. Lord knows I hate to critique a 10 year old. Here's a few tips to speed her up and build her confidence. Stuff i would never worry about with a 10yo.....

The girl shows bunt way early and she doesn't prepare

She fields the ball off her front foot which ties her legs up

Shes then rushes and doesn't set her feet properly for her throw.

Bad sequencing. Round the ball off, set her feet, scoop the ball towards her back foot, and make the throw
View attachment 23425View attachment 23427
Fantastic analysis - thank you!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812