10 year old pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2008
My daughter is about to turn 10 in July and wants to pitch. Can anyone recommend any good books or videos so I can start working on the basics with her? By the way, I have 2 daughters ages 16 and 12 who play travel ball, but the pitching is going to be new. Very familiar with all other parts of the game but again, have not had to really get into the pitching much. Any help would be appreciated.:D

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
10 Y/o Pitching

We were in the same position with a 10 y/o interested in pitching this time last season....the advise I received and followed was to find a good local , knowledgeable pitching coach and spend the money on lessons for her to learn the mechanics properly from the beginning....

One year later, the advise has paid dividends...in her game on Sunday she pitched a strong game in a win for our program.....were there bumps along the way, yes, if we were to do it over again from the beginning, would we proceed the same way - YES !!

May 7, 2008
DFW
Clifton

Start asking around the hood for contacts to get your DD a pitching coach. Ask more than one person and take the time to do the homework. Your other DD's play. Ask the pitching parents on thier teams. Then when you see one that is really good find her parents and ask them. Most parents are more than willing to recommend a quality coach and will probably also tell you who to avoid.

Bottom line is you have to find one your comfortable with but more importantly one who knows how to teach and your DD can relate to on a personal level too. There are some great pitchers out there that are poor instructors. Likewise there are some great instructors out there that have never thrown a pitch. (Ernie Parker comes to mind)

Find the right one for your daughter and for you.

Elliott.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
My daughter is about to turn 10 in July and wants to pitch. Can anyone recommend any good books or videos so I can start working on the basics with her? By the way, I have 2 daughters ages 16 and 12 who play travel ball, but the pitching is going to be new. Very familiar with all other parts of the game but again, have not had to really get into the pitching much. Any help would be appreciated.:D

Hi Clifton,

I will send you a copy of my Foundation Method. It's from my book and it will help.

Click on the link below and you will see a former 10-year-old student of mine. The Foundation Method was the first thing we worked on. Click on the video screen.

Hal Skinner

Last edited by a moderator:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
A really good VHS tape that is for beginners and pitchers that want to work on arm circle is Framing the Pitch by Denny Throneburg. I use it a lot.

May 18, 2008
California
A very good book is "The Windmill Pitcher" by Barry Sammons. It's 15 bucks or less on Amazon. The book covers just about everything involved with pitching. This book was recommended to me by my dd's first paid pitching coach. Again this is a very good book and probably exactly what you are looking for.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802