10 u pitching speed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 26, 2019
My girl is on a 10u team and I was wondering what speed to set a pitching machine at. Any idea on what the range is? We are in the silver bracket playing other local teams, not a super competitive travel team.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
My girl is on a 10u team and I was wondering what speed to set a pitching machine at. Any idea on what the range is? We are in the silver bracket playing other local teams, not a super competitive travel team.

The range?....from "recite the alphabet before the pitch arrives" to low 50's. But for our practices with a machine, we generally set between 40-45.

Oct 4, 2018
When we have enough coaches and machines, we set one at 40 mph and one at 45. When we have one machine, we do 42.

We're a 10U team with mostly 9 year olds, playing B-level ball.

Quite honestly, however, we've had several games where we're needing to tell the girls to "Wait on the ball" as we get a pitcher in the 30s and our girls swing way too early. Funny how we worked so hard on being able to hit faster pitchers and seem to forget how to hit the slower ones.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
None of the above. Get a screen and learn how to pitch from behind it. Get about 20 feet out, you don’t have to pitch fast to make it a good practice. Then you can adapt to the batter.

Oct 4, 2018
Good to do both, along with live pitching from girls at regular distance. And soft toss. And tee drills. Etc. etc. I assume they do these things, but were asking about speed for the machine.

Apr 16, 2013
Pitching machine... single wheel or arm based? If so, be very careful. First, if you do use it, make sure you go through the windmill motion with a ball in your hand. Have your other hand ready to drop in the chute. Learn how to time it at the same time as if you were really throwing it. Batting is timing the pitcher as much as the pitch. Second,. I'd be REALLY careful regularly using a pitching machine for softball. A fastball in softball has forward spin. A one wheeled machine will put backspin on it so it will have far less drop than a regular pitch. If you use it often then you'll be setting muscle memory for the incorrect position.

Dec 11, 2010
And if using a pitching machine, don’t assume that the speed on the machine is correct.

The Jugs machine we use occasionally is 4-5 mph slower than the dial says. Wear and tear on wheel and balls I guess.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3girlsDad