1 error or 2?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 13, 2014
Nashville, TN
Runners on first and second, popup to shallow LF. LF easily gets to ball for catch, but ball pops out of mitt. Picks up ball, throws to 3rd in plenty of time to record force out. Of course, third baseman misses catch (good throw), with ball rolling to fence.

Had the third baseman recorded the force out, I would have ruled a FC (no error on play).

But in this case, should there be an error on the RF (batter reached due to drop) and 3B (runner from second safe on drop) or should there be only 1 error on 3B?

Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
E7 Everyone advanced because of the dropped pop up. If she does not drop it there is no play @ 3rd. It isn't two errors because no one advanced on the second error.

Jun 11, 2013
If the runner going to 3rd scored on the play it's 2 errors, but if she stated at 3rd it's just one.

TMD

Feb 18, 2016
Thanks all; that is how I saw it, as well, but coach wanted me to assign 2 errors...

Well, there are "errors for coaching purposes" and "errors for score keeping purposes". As has been said, there is only 1 official error here in the scorebook, the E7 which allowed the runner to advance to 3rd. As a coach, I'd also have the "don't turn one bad play into two" conversation with the team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802