06 team playing 16u tourney

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
There is a tremendous variation in talent level based upon geographic location.

Could a normal 12u team complete at a 16u A tourney in SoCal? No.

Could a 12u elite team with a 60mph pitcher complete in 16u B tournament in Hog Waller, Arkansas? Yes.

Mar 26, 2019
Central Ohio
I think it depends on the level of the team and whether they have the mental game to handle playing against older girls. My DD's 06 team just did this two weeks ago in an A level 5 game 16U/18U Showcase friendly and overall it was a great experience. We went 1-4, but for the most part we found out we were able to hang in there with most of the other teams (our worst loss was 2-11). We scored 12 runs overall and gave up 31 runs. I was surprised that the pitching wasn't that much different than what the girls have seen last season. It's the power of the bats of the older girls that makes a difference (you see more over the fence homers).

Nov 18, 2018
I just wanted to update everyone on this. We ended up going 2-3 on the weekend. We had opportunities to win all 5 games which was very encouraging. The team played well and the biggest thing I noticed was the power of the pitchers and hitters. This will end up helping the team going forward.

May 22, 2019
I agree that it is always good to challenge the team but in this case there was not discussion. Even the AC did not know that we were going to be doing this.
If HC & AC aren't communicating in regards to upcoming opponents, you may have a bigger problem than this.

Feb 3, 2011
Don't underestimate what anyone is capable of.

Glad to hear it was a successful weekend. Generally, despite what I said a moment ago, I'm not going to throw the best 10u team up against 14u opponents, but 12u-14u-16u-18u.....it's just softball. On a given Saturday afternoon, a completely underwhelming 12yo could pitch 21 grounders and get a 1-0 win over a solid 18u team whose pitcher throws 1 mistake the whole day that gets deposited over the fence.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
16U teams and tournaments can vary a lot. Often the better 16U players jump to showcase teams leaving the 'regular' 16's weak. Over the summer I was at an event with 14U and 16U divisions, it was tough to tell the difference when you used quality of play as a measuring stick. Generally the 16's were bigger, that's all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802