06 team playing 16u tourney

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2018
is this a "local" tournament, ie no hotel? or is there travel involved.

if the former, I would have gotten ahold of any other 14u teams registered, and see about doing a informal one day round robin (4 teams, each team plays 3 games), get some games in agains appropriate competition. main idea of fall tournaments (to me at least, at that age level) is developmental and seeing what you have, integrating new parts into team, etc.
I agree with that. It is local but about 2 hour drive.

Jan 3, 2019
Florida
At this age level it's not about winning but about getting them ready for the next higher level. I've seen first hand how this can benefit a team and this team I'm talking about is a powerhouse now. Will it be tough and will you get your butts handed to you? Probably, but playing up enough times and you'll see the positive changes in the team. The key is to make sure all that are involved(parents, players, etc) know that in the immediate future there will be rough times ahead, but the players will be better off in the long run.

May 6, 2015
I agree with that. It is local but about 2 hour drive.

I think a 2 hour drive is not out of line for a 3 game 4 team friendly. most central team hosts, and they get to play first and last games (since thave have least travel). 50/50 on umpires, both coaching staffs pitch in to dress fields before each game. maybe ask a local food truck or two to show up for a couple of hours.

May 6, 2015
At this age level it's not about winning but about getting them ready for the next higher level. I've seen first hand how this can benefit a team and this team I'm talking about is a powerhouse now. Will it be tough and will you get your butts handed to you? Probably, but playing up enough times and you'll see the positive changes in the team. The key is to make sure all that are involved(parents, players, etc) know that in the immediate future there will be rough times ahead, but the players will be better off in the long run.

agree, you get better playing better teams . . . . UNLESS . . . . the gap is too big. IF the other team is simply beating up your pitchers, and your girls are simply getting smoked at the plate by their pitchers, not much development going on really. have to guage carefully.

Nov 18, 2018
I agree that it is always good to challenge the team but in this case there was not discussion. Even the AC did not know that we were going to be doing this.

Jan 3, 2019
Florida
I agree that it is always good to challenge the team but in this case there was not discussion. Even the AC did not know that we were going to be doing this.
The lack of communication is what I would have a problem with. In the end it is the HC's decision but he/she should've communicated this sooner to you and everyone else part of the team.

Sep 29, 2014
Depends on the make up of the tournament, are all the other teams 16U? or where there two or three other 14U teams that are playing up? I would touch base with the TD and see if the 14U might get in same pool or something. Just be thankful you didn't sign up for 14U pay the fee drive all the way out there, show up and find out they didn't have enough and now the 14U and 16U are combined your choice is now play or go home....been there...what else can you do....put on the big girl pants and play ball!!

Nov 18, 2018
Depends on the make up of the tournament, are all the other teams 16U? or where there two or three other 14U teams that are playing up? I would touch base with the TD and see if the 14U might get in same pool or something. Just be thankful you didn't sign up for 14U pay the fee drive all the way out there, show up and find out they didn't have enough and now the 14U and 16U are combined your choice is now play or go home....been there...what else can you do....put on the big girl pants and play ball!!
I keep looking at the tourney and it looks like 1 other 14u team, six 16u teams, and three 18u teams. Looks like it will be a long weekend.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
I will tell you that there was a 16U A-level tourney we were in last year where the TD (who is HC for a team that age; maybe they are 05, but definitely 14U eligible) arranged the brackets so that all the 14U teams played each other and one was guaranteed a spot in the semi-finals. That didn't go over so well with the 16U coaches. If you're going to play up, you need to be prepared to take your lumps and chalk it up as a learning experience.

Jun 12, 2015
I've always enjoyed watching them playing up. Last year we were 2nd year 12U (06) and played a lot of 14U. I remember one game in particular, against a solid 04 team. I swear you could watch the development in action in that game. The coach was very complimentary about how our players handled being pretty well outmatched. They learned a lot playing up. I'm a fan. Not for all the time, but sometimes, yeah. It also gives them something to look forward to. Work hard and you can play like these girls too.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee