06 team playing 16u tourney

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2018
I am just wondering everyone's opinion on a mostly 06 team playing a 16u tourney. I think it is a waste IMO because we have 06 team with two 05 players. We are new to this team and they all played 12u last year. I know personally that my daughter played up in 14u for spring/summer but she is 12 and in the 8th grade. Is there more good then bad that can come from this?

May 20, 2016
Depends on the team and the tourney really. If they are much better than anyone in the area at the 14U level already why not play up? You want them playing tough competition and if they can't find that at the 14U level might as well try 16U.

Feb 26, 2018
I dunno. As a parent I think I would be annoyed because it's wasting money on a tourney like that. Unless the coach for whatever reason thinks throwing them into the deep end is going to benefit them in the long run.

Nov 18, 2018
Depends on the team and the tourney really. If they are much better than anyone in the area at the 14U level already why not play up? You want them playing tough competition and if they can't find that at the 14U level might as well try 16U.
I would think that but this is not that team. We played first tourney last weekend and went 3 and 2 vs 14u teams.

Nov 18, 2018
I dunno. As a parent I think I would be annoyed because it's wasting money on a tourney like that. Unless the coach for whatever reason thinks throwing them into the deep end is going to benefit them in the long run.
I am annoyed. I have been working really hard on confidence of my DD and I am not sure this is going to help that. I also think its a waste of money.

Feb 26, 2018
Is the 14U division full or something? I mean you're basically fielding a team of middle schoolers against high school sophomores and juniors

Nov 18, 2018
Is the 14U division full or something? I mean you're basically fielding a team of middle schoolers against high school sophomores and juniors
They did not have a enough 14u teams for this tourney so the HC decided to to the 16's.

May 6, 2015
is this a "local" tournament, ie no hotel? or is there travel involved.

if the former, I would have gotten ahold of any other 14u teams registered, and see about doing a informal one day round robin (4 teams, each team plays 3 games), get some games in agains appropriate competition. main idea of fall tournaments (to me at least, at that age level) is developmental and seeing what you have, integrating new parts into team, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478