06 team playing 16u tourney

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 4, 2019
I believe learning how to win is equally as important as learning how to lose. Moving up 2 age groups is a complete waste.

I guess life is too simple staying in your own age group. Everybody’s always looking out to outdo someone else. Just the nature of sports these days I suppose.

Hell, why not just move them up to 23U? When does it end?

I will probably be pissed if I was a parent on a 16 U team I had a bunch of 12-year-old girl show up to play us. The 16-year-olds are probably scared to hurt the 12-year-olds. That’s a tremendous age and maturity difference. Surprised it’s permitted.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2013
One thing to consider is the level of the teams being played. When we play local tournaments (18u) we're looking for ones with well known, solid competition. With the local USSSA they will separate the higher level teams from the lower level so you won't even play each other. However, there are some teams out there that are 16/18u that are really bad. I guess just hanging onto playing ball as long as they can. Those teams would be fine playing a good 12u team. If it's a tourney like that, then they'll probably be fine. Most higher level teams search out the better tournaments and there is usually a LOT of other teams that sign up. This doesn't sound like that right now. If the girls are up for it and the parents are up for it, try it out.

Nov 18, 2018
Well the schedule is out as of last night and it turns out this is a 16/18 tourney. I am going to just let my DD know that all you can do is your best and we will get better from this. Still bugs me that we were not told that this was going to be the case. DD was told last weekend we would be playing 14's. Oh well I guess its only one weekend of lumps.

Mar 28, 2014
I will tell you that there was a 16U A-level tourney we were in last year where the TD (who is HC for a team that age; maybe they are 05, but definitely 14U eligible) arranged the brackets so that all the 14U teams played each other and one was guaranteed a spot in the semi-finals. That didn't go over so well with the 16U coaches. If you're going to play up, you need to be prepared to take your lumps and chalk it up as a learning experience.
Why in the hell are 16u coaches worried about winning some local tournament? Lol.......They should be focused on getting their players in front of college coaches. Period. Leave the concerns about winning to the 8u-12u teams. Note to the daddy coaches in 16u -Time to grow up when you reach 16u.

Mar 28, 2014
Well the schedule is out as of last night and it turns out this is a 16/18 tourney. I am going to just let my DD know that all you can do is your best and we will get better from this. Still bugs me that we were not told that this was going to be the case. DD was told last weekend we would be playing 14's. Oh well I guess its only one weekend of lumps.
You;re making this out to be more than it is. She will be fine.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Why in the hell are 16u coaches worried about winning some local tournament? Lol.......They should be focused on getting their players in front of college coaches. Period. Leave the concerns about winning to the 8u-12u teams. Note to the daddy coaches in 16u -Time to grow up when you reach 16u.

I'm trying to remember which one it was and I can't. It might have been one of the big showcases in Atlanta last fall. There was a lot of grumbling on the local board.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2014
I'm trying to remember which one it has and I can't. It might have been one of the big showcases in Atlanta last fall. There was a lot of grumbling on the local board.
A showcase? That makes it even worse. Good Lord you can have the same batter bat 3 times in an inning in a showcase and these coaches are worried about the bracket layout? Lol............... get away from those coaches. They're clueless.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
A showcase? That makes it even worse. Good Lord you can have the same batter bat 3 times in an inning in a showcase and these coaches are worried about the bracket layout? Lol............... get away from those coaches. They're clueless.

I think they felt that the TD (who happened to be the HC of one of the younger teams) designed the bracket in order to increase visibility of her team and give them an unfair advantage. Didn't affect us, but I thought it was an interesting discussion.

I’m not sure what type of tournaments they were but this summer dd 14u team played in several high school tournaments. It was great for dd because all the high school players keep telling dd she is still in middle school she can’t compare to them. But she held her own pitching and hitting against about 12 other high school teams it really built self confidence in our girls. They won some lost most but never got smoked.

Mar 28, 2014
I think they felt that the TD (who happened to be the HC of one of the younger teams) designed the bracket in order to increase visibility of her team and give them an unfair advantage. Didn't affect us, but I thought it was an interesting discussion.
First of all what kind of Showcase even has a bracket? You talking about a single elim bracket after the 5 or 6 games of the showcase have already taken place? Again, who would care. The kids have already had their exposure. The rest of it is just gravy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812