🙂 HAVE TO bring this up about defensive plays

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 26, 2019
Rad, I don't know. Perhaps I have explained this poorly. I know what has worked in games for 3 decades for me.
I get what you are saying. If you park at the runner at third then she stops and that negates the need to throw to the SS in hopes that she goes home so you can get R3 at the plate. If the C peaks at 3rd and sees her too far off she can reset her feet and throw to 3B and try to get her there. I would be ok with that as a coach if her lead was so big it was almost a steal of home. Those are instincts that are tough to teach though…not impossible, but tough.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I dislike players holding ball unless we just want to stop play then ball better be in P's hand in the middle of field. Becomes P's problem. :)

C has a lot of discretion unless I call something.

Sep 19, 2018
I love the @RADcatcher 's suggested intent. I can say that at 12UB I don't see the skill level to be successful making these decisions at a snap and then making the play. Of course the rub is that how to do you build that skill set / judgement if you are not allowed to work through making those decisions and learning the hard way.

We teach much the same as @Cannonball, but we throw to P4. Second base is crashing hard near the back of the circle to make the throw home (or 3rd as is appropriate).

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Rad, I don't know. Perhaps I have explained this poorly. I know what has worked in games for 3 decades for me.
Okay... I watched it be wrong twice in one game.
14u with a catcher that I was watching make smart decisions throughout other parts of the game. Definitely could have Zapped the girl at 3rd.

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Not trying to put words in your mouth...but reading lots of your posts about catchers (and defenses) being on the attack, you'd rather the defense have awareness and a green light for C to throw to P, 1B, 2B, SS, or 3B at any time to address potential pickoffs/stolen bases?

Your preference for this let's call it "fluid" use of aggressive defense would make it difficult to ever just have defensive plays. Much better to have C and infielders (and their OF backups) ready to strike (ZAP) at a moment's notice, instead of having plays with pitchouts and catchers and fielders throwing to predetermined locations?
Yes green light on throws.
Be smart on when and where to throw.

Bringing up the discussion about opportunities for outs and how sometimes they're missed opportunities because of a predetermined plays.

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
I get what you are saying. If you park at the runner at third then she stops and that negates the need to throw to the SS in hopes that she goes home so you can get R3 at the plate. If the C peaks at 3rd and sees her too far off she can reset her feet and throw to 3B and try to get her there. I would be ok with that as a coach if her lead was so big it was almost a steal of home. Those are instincts that are tough to teach though…not impossible, but tough.
^^^^^ This appears what I'm trying to clarify with @Cannonball is it okay if the catcher Peaks at 3rd and then decides to throw it at 3rd and not too short stop?

Jun 8, 2016
That is a lousy 1st and 3rd play regardless of whether the catcher should have thrown to third initially. Pretty easy for the runner on third to read a throw to the SS position..not surprised she didn’t head home. I see that play in 10u..

Jun 8, 2016
To your original (general) point, DD's coach actually has F4 come in between the pitcher and 2B and then read the throw/runner on 3B to determine whether it should be cut off or not. It is good in theory but at the 1st year 14U level sometimes it is a bit too much to process for the F4.. 🤣

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
The best catchers are also going to have an above average knowledge of the game and game situations. Although I have no issue with coaches calling set plays, I expect my catcher to have the confidence and ability to call an audible.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
That is a lousy 1st and 3rd play regardless of whether the catcher should have thrown to third initially. Pretty easy for the runner on third to read a throw to the SS position..not surprised she didn’t head home. I see that play in 10u..

I agree, that is not the best way to run that play. When the SS receives the ball from the catcher in a 1st and 3rd situation, it is difficult for the SS to get their feet into a good throwing position to throw the ball to 3rd or home. Also, it difficult for the SS to see the play happening. That cut should be taken by the 2nd baseman.

The only reason I can see throwing that ball to the SS is that the 2nd baseman has a terrible arm.

I do agree that a good catcher should be able to make the correct decision based on different variables. Gaining that skill set takes a lot of experience, and a good mental makeup, which is not always easy to find.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802