Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: correct call or not?

  1. #1
    Softball Junkie bmakj's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    573
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 105 Times in 88 Posts

    Default correct call or not?

    bases loaded, HPU (working alone) calls IP, says all runners advance, ball on batter (no pitches thrown yet)?

    not certain of rule set for this "tournament", but on this I think they would all be in alignment.

    I thought it was just a ball on batter (by the way, IP was because she started, stopped, then started again)

  2. #2
    Softball Junkie inde53546's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Wi
    Posts
    787
    Thanks
    106
    Thanked 220 Times in 161 Posts

    Default

    In USA the HPU made the correct ruling.

    Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    I can talk softball all day CPEM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    431
    Thanks
    755
    Thanked 284 Times in 114 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bmakj View Post
    not certain of rule set for this "tournament", but on this I think they would all be in alignment.
    NCAA is the only rule set I know of that has changed the penalty for IP to just awarding a ball to the batter. The other rule sets still also award a base to any runner on base.

    I thought it was just a ball on batter (by the way, IP was because she started, stopped, then started again)
    This is not detailed enough to say for sure if IP was called correctly. By "started, stopped, then started again" do you mean she brought her hands together, separated them, then brought them together again and then separated again, or something else?

  4. #4
    Softball Junkie bmakj's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    573
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 105 Times in 88 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CPEM View Post
    This is not detailed enough to say for sure if IP was called correctly. By "started, stopped, then started again" do you mean she brought her hands together, separated them, then brought them together again and then separated again, or something else?
    I believe this is the explanation the umpire gave, I was down on the right field line in bleachers, so I could not hear it very well. was not really questioning the call itself, just what the penalty wast, DD does not pitch anymore, so never really learned rules for pitching all that well.

    thanks, we have a parent on team that is an ump (HS), and they thought it should only be ball on batter, but I am not certain what HS rules are in our state.
    Last edited by bmakj; 11-05-2018 at 02:37 PM.

  5. #5
    Softball Junkie CoachJD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    654
    Thanks
    506
    Thanked 459 Times in 227 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CPEM View Post
    NCAA is the only rule set I know of that has changed the penalty for IP to just awarding a ball to the batter. The other rule sets still also award a base to any runner on base.

    For 2019, NFHS has removed the one-base advancement. It's just a ball now.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to CoachJD For This Useful Post:

    CPEM (11-05-2018)

  7. #6
    Checking out the clubhouse jackfrost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bmakj View Post
    thanks, we have a parent on team that is an ump (HS), and they thought it should only be ball on batter, but I am not certain what HS rules are in our state.
    Next year in 2019 that parent would be correct. the NFHS rule is changing in 2019 and the runners will not be advanced a base on an illegal pitch. But today they are advanced. Here is the 2019 rule revision from the NFHS website.

    6-1-1 PENALTY, 6-1-2 Thru 4 PENALTY, 6-2-1 PENALTY, 6-2-7 PENALTY: in the case of an illegal pitch, the batter is awarded a ball. The penalty that permitted base runners to be awarded one base without liability to be put out is removed.

    Rationale: The new language creates more balance between offense and defense. The batter should receive the award rather than runners already on base.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to jackfrost For This Useful Post:

    CPEM (11-05-2018)

  9. #7
    MTR
    MTR is offline
    I eat, sleep and breathe softball MTR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,262
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 708 Times in 490 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jackfrost View Post
    Rationale: The new language creates more balance between offense and defense. The batter should receive the award rather than runners already on base.
    The original softball rule for an "unfairly delivered ball" (1936) was just a ball on the batter. If the batter hits the pitch in fair territory, there is no penalty (or choice) applied

    IMO, the added base award was meant to be a deterrent by adding additional punishment for the act.

  10. #8
    I'm a fan SonicMojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    52
    Thanks
    32
    Thanked 21 Times in 15 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MTR View Post
    IMO, the added base award was meant to be a deterrent by adding additional punishment for the act.
    Instead it's become a deterrent for the umpires to call it. Maybe we'll see more called at the HS level. Looking forward to it.

  11. #9
    I eat, sleep and breathe softball Comp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,121
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1,570 Times in 929 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SonicMojo View Post
    Instead it's become a deterrent for the umpires to call it. Maybe we'll see more called at the HS level. Looking forward to it.
    It made literally no difference in the enforcement in NCAA, I don't see it happening in high school either. The umpires have become so blind to even looking for illegal pitches most have forgotten what they are. You might see an initial upturn but it will go right back to the same thing very quickly.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Comp For This Useful Post:

    uncdrew (11-08-2018)

  13. #10
    Learning everyday NBECoach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Default

    What if the ball is put in play on an IP? Does the team at bat get to choose between play and ball?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Segment -- Burn -- Conversion --