Talk to Other Fastpitch Softball Fanatics ... for FREE!

Register today and get the uncensored, and yes, the sometimes uncomfortable truth from real softball fanatics who live and die on the softball fields.
Signup to Discuss FastPitch Forum
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 44

Thread: “Pitching Drought”

  1. #21
    I can talk softball all day Softball scholar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    479
    Thanks
    152
    Thanked 224 Times in 146 Posts

    Default

    I think another problem in softball is that a lot of coaches ride the #1 pitcher way too much. Ive seen teams were team has 3-4 pitchers. But the #1 pitcher gets 75% of the innings. The other girls get discouraged and give up, and the #1 pitcher gets overwork and is susceptible to injuries and burn out. The pitch counts in baseball gives multiple pitchers more opportunities.
    "If you can meet with triumph and disaster and treat these two imposters just the same". R Kipling

  2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Softball scholar For This Useful Post:

    Awesome Sauce Malone (08-10-2018), MNDad (08-09-2018), Rick M (08-09-2018)

  3. #22
    I eat, sleep and breathe softball grcsftbll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    3,384
    Thanks
    1,982
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,074 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Softball scholar View Post
    I think another problem in softball is that a lot of coaches ride the #1 pitcher way too much. Ive seen teams were team has 3-4 pitchers. But the #1 pitcher gets 75% of the innings. The other girls get discouraged and give up, and the #1 pitcher gets overwork and is susceptible to injuries and burn out. The pitch counts in baseball gives multiple pitchers more opportunities.
    I've noticed this too. They're usually those teams who have the one ace, and only ever win when that one is pitching. Their defense sucks because they get by on pitching 75% of the time.
    Softball Mom

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to grcsftbll For This Useful Post:

    Awesome Sauce Malone (08-10-2018)

  5. #23
    Certified softball maniac MNDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,425
    Thanks
    1,579
    Thanked 1,287 Times in 664 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Softball scholar View Post
    I think another problem in softball is that a lot of coaches ride the #1 pitcher way too much. Ive seen teams were team has 3-4 pitchers. But the #1 pitcher gets 75% of the innings. The other girls get discouraged and give up, and the #1 pitcher gets overwork and is susceptible to injuries and burn out. The pitch counts in baseball gives multiple pitchers more opportunities.

    This is a huge problem for rec teams here, particularly when it comes to Daddyball. They let coaches give 99% of the innings to their DD’s and after they leave the program wonders why they don’t have any pitching.
    Relax and enjoy the ride

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to MNDad For This Useful Post:

    Awesome Sauce Malone (08-10-2018)

  7. #24
    Certified softball maniac corlay's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Binghamton, NY
    Posts
    1,101
    Thanks
    641
    Thanked 883 Times in 457 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Westwind View Post
    3. Bats are hot. I am getting old and I can probably fungo with one hand with the modern bats. You see 12 and 13 year olds hitting balls over 200 feet now. That wasn't happening ten years ago.
    I think this is probably true, but from what I observed:
    a kid that can muster a "pop-fly HR" usually hits a greater % of "no doubters" that she properly barrels-up.
    meaning: you still have to have a powerful swing with reasonably good mechanics to hit one out.

    I don't see many "bad" hitters go yard more than once, or maybe twice, a season because of a "hot bat".

  8. #25
    I eat, sleep and breathe softball grcsftbll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    3,384
    Thanks
    1,982
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,074 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MNDad View Post
    This is a huge problem for rec teams here, particularly when it comes to Daddyball. They let coaches give 99% of the innings to their DD’s and after they leave the program wonders why they don’t have any pitching.
    Makes sense. At least here, the rec program is all volunteer parent coaches. Their quality varies immensely, that's for sure.
    Softball Mom

  9. #26
    Checking out the clubhouse Awesome Sauce Malone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    43
    Thanks
    90
    Thanked 12 Times in 9 Posts

    Default

    So stupid question time and stupid meaning I know the answer but Im trying to grasp the why portion of it

    I know in baseball we've always taught everyone to pitch. Even the kids who will probably not step foot on a mound knows how to pitch "Just in case"

    Me - (being a know nothing) sees my daughters athleticism and figures in softball its probably best served playing a position however I see her walking around pretending to pitch and shes starting to ask about it so Im figuring "what the hell"

    My question is - is this something I should even bother pursuing? I understand pitching is always in need but from the sounds of it (and some of what I've had to deal in my hometown) Id be setting my self up for double the headache especially if my kids wants to pitch and play a position.

  10. #27
    Softball Junkie BT3100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    757
    Thanks
    677
    Thanked 712 Times in 287 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Awesome Sauce Malone View Post
    So stupid question time and stupid meaning I know the answer but Im trying to grasp the why portion of it

    I know in baseball we've always taught everyone to pitch. Even the kids who will probably not step foot on a mound knows how to pitch "Just in case"

    Me - (being a know nothing) sees my daughters athleticism and figures in softball its probably best served playing a position however I see her walking around pretending to pitch and shes starting to ask about it so Im figuring "what the hell"

    My question is - is this something I should even bother pursuing? I understand pitching is always in need but from the sounds of it (and some of what I've had to deal in my hometown) Id be setting my self up for double the headache especially if my kids wants to pitch and play a position.
    I think allowing any kid who wants to pitch is a great idea. As they get older 12U and above it becomes increasingly difficult to compete at the higher levels without intense focus and work on pitching. DD practices 4-5 times per week for 10 months of the year. Had I know when she was 10 that the commitment was that great I probably would have steered her in a different direction. That said she loves it and I am happy for her. Just need to make sure that as your DD begins that it could lead to a larger commitment.
    "The charm of softball is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to BT3100 For This Useful Post:

    Awesome Sauce Malone (08-10-2018)

  12. #28
    Checking out the clubhouse Awesome Sauce Malone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    43
    Thanks
    90
    Thanked 12 Times in 9 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BT3100 View Post
    I think allowing any kid who wants to pitch is a great idea. As they get older 12U and above it becomes increasingly difficult to compete at the higher levels without intense focus and work on pitching. DD practices 4-5 times per week for 10 months of the year. Had I know when she was 10 that the commitment was that great I probably would have steered her in a different direction. That said she loves it and I am happy for her. Just need to make sure that as your DD begins that it could lead to a larger commitment.
    I have the same thoughts as in if she wants to why not. hell it could turn out to be her thing you know. As it stands now she does not have that kind of time commitment. Id say we could get a good 2 days in with a possible 3rd. But at the same time shes never pitched before so she would just be learning. But the one thing she always asks me is if she can pitch to me so if there is the interest might as well ahve her learn something.

  13. #29
    Certified softball maniac pattar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    1,155
    Thanks
    224
    Thanked 601 Times in 390 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Awesome Sauce Malone View Post
    I have the same thoughts as in if she wants to why not. hell it could turn out to be her thing you know. As it stands now she does not have that kind of time commitment. Id say we could get a good 2 days in with a possible 3rd. But at the same time shes never pitched before so she would just be learning. But the one thing she always asks me is if she can pitch to me so if there is the interest might as well ahve her learn something.
    I used the strategy of whispering horrible things about pitching in my DD's ear when she was she was sleeping as a toddler and it seems to have worked since she has a strong distaste for pitchers and pitching which is good for a position player....

  14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pattar For This Useful Post:

    Awesome Sauce Malone (08-10-2018), BT3100 (08-10-2018), MNDad (08-10-2018)

  15. #30
    I'm a fan Fastpitch_Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    76
    Thanks
    44
    Thanked 47 Times in 31 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Awesome Sauce Malone View Post
    I have the same thoughts as in if she wants to why not. hell it could turn out to be her thing you know. As it stands now she does not have that kind of time commitment. Id say we could get a good 2 days in with a possible 3rd. But at the same time shes never pitched before so she would just be learning. But the one thing she always asks me is if she can pitch to me so if there is the interest might as well ahve her learn something.

    Go for it!!

    A very wise person (college coach as well) told me our first year of pitching that the successful kids have these qualities:
    1) Desire to pitch
    2) Some athleticism
    3) Involved parent
    4) Parent with lots of time and/or money



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fastpitch_Dad For This Useful Post:

    Awesome Sauce Malone (08-10-2018), Rocketech1 (08-10-2018)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Segment -- Burn -- Conversion --