Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 35

Thread: Extension, is this an action or a by-product of a good upstream movement

  1. #1
    Finding my way 4 girl's dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Back on the dirt
    Posts
    1,644
    Thanks
    2,005
    Thanked 713 Times in 474 Posts

    Default Extension, is this a forced ction or a by-product of a good upstream movement

    I did a search here and didnt find any posts. What are your thoughts?

    Last edited by 4 girl's dad; 02-12-2019 at 12:29 AM.
    Do not argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

  2. #2
    I eat, sleep and breathe softball FiveFrameSwing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    14,830
    Thanks
    2,279
    Thanked 10,307 Times in 7,155 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4 girl's dad View Post
    I did a search here and didnt find any posts. What are your thoughts?
    .....................


    Quote Originally Posted by FiveFrameSwing View Post
    The 'release' is a big part of 'timing' ... and it also is a big part of realizing post-impact 'extension'.

    Quote Originally Posted by FiveFrameSwing View Post
    Not only would I not work directly on 'extension', but the type of 'extension' that folks look for is often improper. That is, they look for an 'extension' of the arms directed out towards the outfield .... when what they really should be looking for is 'extension' of the body. Many times I'll have a kid correct their body extension and the result is that the arms will become extended post impact.

    So while 'extension' of the arms is not something I would directly work on, 'extension' of the body (which often leads to 'extension' of the arms) is something that I will work on directly.

  3. #3
    Certified softball maniac Shawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Posts
    1,689
    Thanks
    319
    Thanked 393 Times in 319 Posts

    Default

    Joey Myers talks about centripetal and centrifugal forces. One is drawing inward (centripetal) and one is outward/fleeing (centrifugal). The same way a merry-go-round works. The physics should result in extension without trying to hard.
    "It is hard to fill a cup that is already full"

  4. #4
    I eat, sleep and breathe softball FiveFrameSwing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    14,830
    Thanks
    2,279
    Thanked 10,307 Times in 7,155 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Joey Myers talks about centripetal and centrifugal forces. One is drawing inward (centripetal) and one is outward/fleeing (centrifugal). The same way a merry-go-round works. The physics should result in extension without trying to hard.
    I prefer to think in terms of centripetal force and inertial force (inertia).

  5. #5
    Certified softball maniac Shawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Posts
    1,689
    Thanks
    319
    Thanked 393 Times in 319 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FiveFrameSwing View Post
    I prefer to think in terms of centripetal force and inertial force (inertia).
    Yea he talks about inertia force. He goes over it very well.
    "It is hard to fill a cup that is already full"

  6. #6
    TDS
    TDS is online now
    Softball Junkie TDS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    957
    Thanks
    192
    Thanked 258 Times in 198 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Joey Myers talks about centripetal and centrifugal forces. One is drawing inward (centripetal) and one is outward/fleeing (centrifugal). The same way a merry-go-round works. The physics should result in extension without trying to hard.
    Would miggy's change in barrel direction fit the centripetal and centrifugal forces ?


  7. #7
    Certified softball maniac Shawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Posts
    1,689
    Thanks
    319
    Thanked 393 Times in 319 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TDS View Post
    Would miggy's change in barrel direction fit the centripetal and centrifugal forces ?

    If I understand it correctly then Yes. Although it is also a change in inertia I believe.
    "It is hard to fill a cup that is already full"

  8. #8
    TDS
    TDS is online now
    Softball Junkie TDS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    957
    Thanks
    192
    Thanked 258 Times in 198 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    If I understand it correctly then Yes. Although it is also a change in inertia I believe.
    Thanks !! For me it feels like the barrel is fleeing outward as the handle is getting sucked in once the hand pivot is established.. I believe this is what Howe was referring to with his centripetal and centrifugal forces.

    Couple more good examples..



    Last edited by TDS; 02-12-2019 at 02:25 PM.

  9. #9
    Certified softball maniac Shawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Posts
    1,689
    Thanks
    319
    Thanked 393 Times in 319 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TDS View Post
    Thanks !! For me it feels like the barrel is fleeing outward as the handle is getting sucked in once the hand pivot is established.. I believe this is what Howe was referring to with his centripetal and centrifugal forces.
    Yes, I like that analogy, fleeing. I also agree with the hand pivot being established first.
    "It is hard to fill a cup that is already full"

  10. #10
    Softball Junkie julray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    904
    Thanks
    121
    Thanked 150 Times in 112 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FiveFrameSwing View Post
    .....................
    FFS, can you please explain what "extension of Body" means?


Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •