Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 162

Thread: Swing adjustments

  1. #1
    I can talk softball all day clemenslee1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    184
    Thanks
    44
    Thanked 42 Times in 27 Posts

    Default Swing adjustments

    Daughter is slowly getting back into the swing of things (pun intended lol). She has pretty much taken a break for a month or two. Just doing things here or there. Anyways, I was looking for suggestions on small things she could work on. Thanks in advance!




  2. #2
    It wasn't me. rdbass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Not here.
    Posts
    8,474
    Thanks
    2,319
    Thanked 5,503 Times in 3,299 Posts

    Default

    Not 'turn in her hips'. The leg is the driver...the hips resist by coiling in the opposite direction. Not a 'small thing to work on'......That's for you.
    Your DD just needs to keep swinging. She'll figure it out.

    Last edited by rdbass; 12-27-2018 at 12:18 PM.
    If I can't laugh at myself...then I'll laugh at YOU!

  3. #3
    I can talk softball all day clemenslee1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    184
    Thanks
    44
    Thanked 42 Times in 27 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rdbass View Post
    Not 'turn in her hips'. The leg is the driver...the hips resist by coiling in the opposite direction. Not a 'small thing to work on'......That's for you.
    Your DD just needs to keep swinging. She'll figure it out.
    Thanks for the reply,

    Im a visual learner. I made this picture to see if I understand correctly.

    Inkedbaseball-batting-drills-josh-donaldson_LI.jpg

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to clemenslee1 For This Useful Post:

    rdbass (12-27-2018)

  5. #4
    Certified softball maniac Shawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Posts
    1,820
    Thanks
    345
    Thanked 418 Times in 339 Posts

    Default

    I see the weight shift back is a dominant action in the swing. So much so that the weight doesn't start to shift forward until she starts to swing. No FBC action taken place.
    "It is hard to fill a cup that is already full"

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shawn For This Useful Post:

    clemenslee1 (12-27-2018), FiveFrameSwing (12-27-2018)

  7. #5
    I can talk softball all day clemenslee1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    184
    Thanks
    44
    Thanked 42 Times in 27 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I see the weight shift back is a dominant action in the swing. So much so that the weight doesn't start to shift forward until she starts to swing. No FBC action taken place.

    What is FBC?

  8. #6
    Softball Junkie justanotherguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    561
    Thanks
    171
    Thanked 278 Times in 188 Posts

    Default

    Man, for her age, she's freaking rocking it. Don't overdo training at this age. Not sure if this is what the other guys are talking about, but look at her back knee and how it collapses, knee pointing outward. Now, you stand up, keep your back knee locked inward like you're holding a beach ball between your legs and not allowing it to drop. Twist your hips back and feeeellll that stretch going down the backside of your leg. That's the goal. When you collapse that back knee it's a power leak. I think this is where a ton of people get the "back then forward" thing wrong. I see girls doing it all the time. Mine was one of them.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to justanotherguy For This Useful Post:

    clemenslee1 (12-27-2018)

  10. #7
    I can talk softball all day clemenslee1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    184
    Thanks
    44
    Thanked 42 Times in 27 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by justanotherguy View Post
    Man, for her age, she's freaking rocking it. Don't overdo training at this age. Not sure if this is what the other guys are talking about, but look at her back knee and how it collapses, knee pointing outward. Now, you stand up, keep your back knee locked inward like you're holding a beach ball between your legs and not allowing it to drop. Twist your hips back and feeeellll that stretch going down the backside of your leg. That's the goal. When you collapse that back knee it's a power leak. I think this is where a ton of people get the "back then forward" thing wrong. I see girls doing it all the time. Mine was one of them.
    I think I understand. More like getting into/sitting into the heal/inside part of the rear foot. instead of onto the outside of the rear foot.

  11. #8
    Softball Junkie justanotherguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    561
    Thanks
    171
    Thanked 278 Times in 188 Posts

    Default

    If that's what helps you understand. For me it was feeling that stretch vs letting that back leg collapse. Look at the very picture you posted above. See how his knee is pointed inward? Once you feel it, it becomes a lot more clear. Just stand up now and do it. Push back and twist a little with your knee locked inward. When you allow that back leg to collapse, it's more the hip/femur joint that's collapsing vs being held tight. Think of that stretch as a rubber band being pulled back.

    She's doing really well, be careful not to break what's working. This is a "big" point for power, but she's not far from having things put together. I'd also put the tee a little lower, she's chasing a high one there. LOL

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to justanotherguy For This Useful Post:

    clemenslee1 (12-27-2018)

  13. #9
    I can talk softball all day clemenslee1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    184
    Thanks
    44
    Thanked 42 Times in 27 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by justanotherguy View Post
    If that's what helps you understand. For me it was feeling that stretch vs letting that back leg collapse. Look at the very picture you posted above. See how his knee is pointed inward? Once you feel it, it becomes a lot more clear. Just stand up now and do it. Push back and twist a little with your knee locked inward. When you allow that back leg to collapse, it's more the hip/femur joint that's collapsing vs being held tight. Think of that stretch as a rubber band being pulled back.

    She's doing really well, be careful not to break what's working. This is a "big" point for power, but she's not far from having things put together. I'd also put the tee a little lower, she's chasing a high one there. LOL
    Tried what you are suggesting. I did feel the tension there. So its something I will think about the next time she practices.

    Yeah I'm not trying to break anything, that's why I said small adjustments. Because I just try to do a little at a time with her. She is only 8. The biggest thing I've been trying to work with her on is bat drag, Which I think she is making improvements on.

  14. #10
    I can talk softball all day clemenslee1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    184
    Thanks
    44
    Thanked 42 Times in 27 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by justanotherguy View Post
    If that's what helps you understand. For me it was feeling that stretch vs letting that back leg collapse. Look at the very picture you posted above. See how his knee is pointed inward? Once you feel it, it becomes a lot more clear. Just stand up now and do it. Push back and twist a little with your knee locked inward. When you allow that back leg to collapse, it's more the hip/femur joint that's collapsing vs being held tight. Think of that stretch as a rubber band being pulled back.

    She's doing really well, be careful not to break what's working. This is a "big" point for power, but she's not far from having things put together. I'd also put the tee a little lower, she's chasing a high one there. LOL
    I was looking through the same batting session to show her things that she does well. I think in this swing she's more closer to what you describe above. It may be something I can use to get her going in the right direction.


Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •