Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Gather

  1. #1
    I can talk softball all day clemenslee1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    184
    Thanks
    44
    Thanked 42 Times in 27 Posts

    Default Gather

    Is a higher leg kick batting gather to much for a 7-8 yr old? Today my daughter tried different ways to gather and she said she felt most comfortable doing a higher leg kick.I'll admit on video she looked the most athletic and fluid doing it. There was no leaning over the back knee and foot etc. What concerns me is head/eye movement doing it. Just curious of what your guys opinions are.

    Sent from my FRD-L04 using Tapatalk


  2. #2
    Always learning... Eric F's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    9,055
    Thanks
    5,754
    Thanked 7,067 Times in 3,623 Posts

    Default

    If the leg kick is affecting her ability to be on time, it's an issue. If she is able to use it at a mechanism to help her be on time, that's a good thing. Expect to run into coaches who want to take it out of her swing as soon as they see it.

    As for head movement, I like to see the head work along a horizontal line until foot-down. I don't like to see changes in head elevation while the player is reading the incoming pitch. Once the stride is down, the head should remain fairly still (some players head's will go backwards, and that is usually okay).
    A TB parent's life...Drive. Write checks. Eat tacos.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eric F For This Useful Post:

    uncdrew (10-25-2018)

  4. #3
    I can talk softball all day clemenslee1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    184
    Thanks
    44
    Thanked 42 Times in 27 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric F View Post
    If the leg kick is affecting her ability to be on time, it's an issue. If she is able to use it at a mechanism to help her be on time, that's a good thing. Expect to run into coaches who want to take it out of her swing as soon as they see it.

    As for head movement, I like to see the head work along a horizontal line until foot-down. I don't like to see changes in head elevation while the player is reading the incoming pitch. Once the stride is down, the head should remain fairly still (some players head's will go backwards, and that is usually okay).
    Thanks for the reply. I can understand it affecting her ability to stay on time. She will have to start early and slow.

    Sent from my FRD-L04 using Tapatalk

  5. #4
    Softball Junkie #7sDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    620
    Thanks
    779
    Thanked 764 Times in 281 Posts

    Default

    have to have leg kick. the higher the better. elevate to celebrate. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI3MO1E5f2A

    never gets old.
    Donít practice until you get it right. Practice until you canít get it wrong.

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to #7sDad For This Useful Post:

    Coach Foster (09-19-2018), Eric F (09-19-2018)

  7. #5
    I can talk softball all day clemenslee1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    184
    Thanks
    44
    Thanked 42 Times in 27 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by #7sDad View Post
    have to have leg kick. the higher the better. elevate to celebrate. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI3MO1E5f2A

    never gets old.
    Lol, that guys videos are hilarious. Elevate to celebrate lol

    Sent from my FRD-L04 using Tapatalk

  8. #6
    Clueless.. pattar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    1,773
    Thanks
    321
    Thanked 885 Times in 585 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by clemenslee1 View Post
    Is a higher leg kick batting gather to much for a 7-8 yr old? Today my daughter tried different ways to gather and she said she felt most comfortable doing a higher leg kick.I'll admit on video she looked the most athletic and fluid doing it. There was no leaning over the back knee and foot etc. What concerns me is head/eye movement doing it. Just curious of what your guys opinions are.

    Sent from my FRD-L04 using Tapatalk
    If she likes the leg kick go with it...its her swing

    Timing issues will work themselves out over time, just be patient and give her lots of front toss.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to pattar For This Useful Post:

    clemenslee1 (09-19-2018)

  10. #7
    I'm a fan cnardone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    65
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 20 Times in 17 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by clemenslee1 View Post
    Is a higher leg kick batting gather to much for a 7-8 yr old?

    Sent from my FRD-L04 using Tapatalk
    I am new here and learning a lot. My first though here is, "Does she have the strength to stay balanced enough to be consistent in her stride?" I did my first 10u coaching (Rec) this year and I had 9 and 10s that couldn't stay balanced with a leg kick that didn't seem very high at all. I know I need to change expectations.


    cmn

  11. #8
    I can talk softball all day clemenslee1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    184
    Thanks
    44
    Thanked 42 Times in 27 Posts

    Default

    She's not too bad in her balance. When i say leg kick I dont mean no major high mlb leg kick, like Justin Turner for example.
    Quote Originally Posted by cnardone View Post
    I am new here and learning a lot. My first though here is, "Does she have the strength to stay balanced enough to be consistent in her stride?" I did my first 10u coaching (Rec) this year and I had 9 and 10s that couldn't stay balanced with a leg kick that didn't seem very high at all. I know I need to change expectations.


    cmn
    Sent from my FRD-L04 using Tapatalk


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •