Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 33

Thread: Stride and Timing

  1. #21
    Softball Junkie julray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    892
    Thanks
    113
    Thanked 147 Times in 109 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slugger3 View Post
    With the same batter, I disagree....I'll say 10-20% more power with a Striding Swing....all depending on the batter's size, strength and weight...That's 10-20% more PSI, it takes alot of force to get a ball just another 20-50 feet...

    Let the hammering and insults begin...

    Somebody have, or know of, a machine/meter we could compare the 2 swings on?
    Hey Slugger.. since we are currently in the middle of transitioning to a stride swing.. Why do you feel there is potential for more power with a striding type swing? My DD is small but strong.. and not getting any bigger, . 5'3" 115.

  2. #22
    Softball Junkie slugger3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    603
    Thanks
    523
    Thanked 288 Times in 182 Posts

    Default

    Not only from alot more weight transferring forward, but the weight transfer causing more rotation speed/force/momentum etc. and whip on the arms and wrists....and then the bat

    It's my opinion that's there's much more Potential Energy turned into Kinetic Energy on a Striding Swing, versus a non-striding swing.
    Last edited by slugger3; 08-03-2018 at 12:14 PM.

  3. #23
    I can talk softball all day Gags's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    416
    Thanks
    312
    Thanked 142 Times in 107 Posts

    Default

    I think pitch speed has a lot to do with it. I've noticed minimal difference in distance when I've switched b/w a stride and no stride in baseball. However, I've tried the "no-stride" approach a few times in [slowpitch] softball, and while I felt like I squared the ball up, it was still only going as far as the outfielders were playing. [Admittedly small sample size - your mileage may vary...]

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Gags For This Useful Post:

    slugger3 (08-04-2018)

  5. #24
    Softball Junkie slugger3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    603
    Thanks
    523
    Thanked 288 Times in 182 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gags View Post
    I think pitch speed has a lot to do with it. I've noticed minimal difference in distance when I've switched b/w a stride and no stride in baseball. However, I've tried the "no-stride" approach a few times in [slowpitch] softball, and while I felt like I squared the ball up, it was still only going as far as the outfielders were playing. [Admittedly small sample size - your mileage may vary...]
    With a pitching machine set on a consistant speed (50, 55, 60 mph) every pitch you can compare distances hit between Striding and Non-Striding fairly easy.
    With a consistent speed, the only variable should be the Striding movement

  6. #25
    Certified softball maniac Shawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Posts
    1,582
    Thanks
    297
    Thanked 364 Times in 295 Posts

    Default







    I thought I would put this together since we are talking about more potential energy with a stride vs no stride. I think the no stride swing is a perfect swing. a perfect model for no stride. The stride swing is okay, I think the no stride swing is better.
    Last edited by Shawn; 08-04-2018 at 01:54 AM.
    "It is hard to fill a cup that is already full"

  7. #26
    Softball Junkie Work=wins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    South Cali
    Posts
    624
    Thanks
    285
    Thanked 108 Times in 79 Posts

    Default

    The only reason to switch from a no stride to a stride or vice versa would be to improve your timing. Why on earth would you switch just to get more power. Getting more power is relative to a players mechanical efficiency and timing. Whatever makes the player feel comfortable and on time will get the player their most power. Miggy doesn't switch back and forth to get more power . He does it to get on time. I will step down from my soapbox now


    Change the no/stride because the timing is bad. Not to add power. That's what a stride/no/leg kick does. It helps timing. Which will help power. Capish? K I'm done.

    It's been a long day. Apologies if I offend.
    Last edited by Work=wins; 08-04-2018 at 02:39 AM.
    Thanks in advance.

  8. #27
    I'm a fan Cornbread's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    83
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts

    Default

    Could you throw harder striding or not striding? Why or why not?

  9. #28
    I eat, sleep and breathe softball FiveFrameSwing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    14,570
    Thanks
    2,196
    Thanked 10,215 Times in 7,093 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Work=wins View Post
    The only reason to switch from a no stride to a stride or vice versa would be to improve your timing. Why on earth would you switch just to get more power. Getting more power is relative to a players mechanical efficiency and timing. Whatever makes the player feel comfortable and on time will get the player their most power. Miggy doesn't switch back and forth to get more power . He does it to get on time. I will step down from my soapbox now


    Change the no/stride because the timing is bad. Not to add power. That's what a stride/no/leg kick does. It helps timing. Which will help power. Capish? K I'm done.

    It's been a long day. Apologies if I offend.
    Bold above ....

    I believe Miggy switches to a no-stride to improve his timing.

    How about the other way around? Why do you figure he switches back to using a stride?

  10. #29
    Checking out the clubhouse 6TO4TO3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    28
    Thanks
    109
    Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rdbass View Post
    The swing is the shift.....
    But the stride is not the shift

    Many get confused by what the shift means...It doesn't mean the stride. the stride is not the shift

  11. #30
    Softball Junkie julray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    892
    Thanks
    113
    Thanked 147 Times in 109 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 6TO4TO3 View Post
    But the stride is not the shift

    Many get confused by what the shift means...It doesn't mean the stride. the stride is not the shift
    In your opinion what is the shift?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •