Elk Grove Hurricane (07-31-2018)
Are players being honest when they say they will return to their team? I think it's challenging for coaches to make an offer to two pitchers when they already have two pitchers who have said they will return, only to find out later they have decided to leave in the 11th hour. This is the stressful part of tryout week. If there is no conversation it's a chess match and poker at the same time. I think parents would appreciate an end of year conversation between the coach and player, and then with the parents about his/her intentions for the next year. The player either gets an offer to stay or she doesn't and the coach can explain his decision, whatever it is, with the player and parents. If the player gets an invite back I think it's appropriate to ask for a small non-refundable deposit, maybe $250 dollars. At this time I think it's also appropriate for the player and parents to share their agenda for the tryout week. The parents can pay the deposit to hold a roster spot but not necessarily their starting position, or pass on the deposit and take their chances. At least everyone knows the situation. It's not complicated or difficult to be upfront and honest and to deal with your choices to test the waters or not.
I look at it like the coach was being proactive and opening up conversation for the next season. Reaching out in June and asking for an answer in a few weeks about each playerís intentions is not what Iíd consider a demand.
Your reaction to this tells me you are not a big fan to begin with.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For the record I did let the coach know we were going to look around because I didn't care too much if he held it against us.
at the end of the day you do what is best for your DD. PERIOD! I believe one should try to do it with as much honesty as possible. In other words don't ever lie. I hate liers. However, not disclosing everything if it protects you DD is not a lie. LB, sounds like you have done what you can do to do the best for DD.
Does it even matter, really? You can't believe anyone anyway til you have their money. We lost 2 just a few days ago who'd already committed. Even if they say heck yeah, coach, we're all in, they might not be. I appreciate up-front communication and wouldn't have a problem with this approach personally. But I doubt much of the info he gets will be worth anything.