Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: What does a personal emal invite to prospect camp from DII coach mean?

  1. #1
    I can talk softball all day Hube111's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    111
    Thanks
    74
    Thanked 36 Times in 25 Posts

    Default What does a personal emal invite to prospect camp from DII coach mean?

    So DD attended a player evaluation camp last week and the organizers had a DII coach in attendance evaluating the girls. DD is an incoming freshman class of 2022. We selected the camp because DD wanted to see where she stood compared to girls her age and older. DD is very competitive and had a very good showing at the camp. Highlights included a 2.78 home to first as a righty and a 70 mph exit velocity, and comments from DII coach that he like how she finished her swing. Anyway, now a week after the camp I get an email from DII coach that says he enjoyed working with her at the camp and would like to personally invite her to his prospect camp this summer. We are completely new to this and don't know what to think. Did everyone at the camp get this email, or just a select few? We honestly have not even begun to think about college or recruiting yet, but maybe this invite is too good to turn down. They have two one day camps and only take 60 girls for each, so while I'm sure it is a money maker, it doesn't seem like a money grab as I'm sure they have no problem filling the slots.

    Any thoughts from those with experience is appreciated.

  2. #2
    Checking out the clubhouse team mom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    39
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts

    Default

    At that age, the only contact a coach can have with a player is an invitation to their camp. I would take it as a positive sign. Incoming freshman is not too early to start building relationships with college coaches. Camps are a great way to do that. Tour the school while you are there and figure out if it's one your DD would be interested in. All camps are intended to make money, but camps at schools you want to go to (potentially) is money well spent if there is interest from the coach.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to team mom For This Useful Post:

    Hube111 (07-10-2018)

  4. #3
    I can talk softball all day let it be fun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    250
    Thanks
    188
    Thanked 230 Times in 130 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hube111 View Post
    So DD attended a player evaluation camp last week and the organizers had a DII coach in attendance evaluating the girls. DD is an incoming freshman class of 2022. We selected the camp because DD wanted to see where she stood compared to girls her age and older. DD is very competitive and had a very good showing at the camp. Highlights included a 2.78 home to first as a righty and a 70 mph exit velocity, and comments from DII coach that he like how she finished her swing. Anyway, now a week after the camp I get an email from DII coach that says he enjoyed working with her at the camp and would like to personally invite her to his prospect camp this summer. We are completely new to this and don't know what to think. Did everyone at the camp get this email, or just a select few? We honestly have not even begun to think about college or recruiting yet, but maybe this invite is too good to turn down. They have two one day camps and only take 60 girls for each, so while I'm sure it is a money maker, it doesn't seem like a money grab as I'm sure they have no problem filling the slots.

    Any thoughts from those with experience is appreciated.
    I think the coach liked what he saw and decided your DD is a player to take another look at. 2.78 is legitimately FAST. Is it a school your DD would possibly attend? If so, and the school is not too far away, I would have your DD attend the camp. Once at camp, it will be very apparent how interested they are in your DD. If they really like your DD, you won't have to guess. Like team mom said, it is also a good time for your DD to take a visit of the campus. You could have your DD call admissions and set up a tour. Then have her email the coach back, let him know that she will be coming and let him know that she has already contacted admissions and set up a school tour. That will let him know that she has legitimate interest in the school.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to let it be fun For This Useful Post:

    Hube111 (07-10-2018)

  6. #4
    I can talk softball all day Hube111's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    111
    Thanks
    74
    Thanked 36 Times in 25 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by let it be fun View Post
    I think the coach liked what he saw and decided your DD is a player to take another look at. 2.78 is legitimately FAST. Is it a school your DD would possibly attend? If so, and the school is not too far away, I would have your DD attend the camp. Once at camp, it will be very apparent how interested they are in your DD. If they really like your DD, you won't have to guess. Like team mom said, it is also a good time for your DD to take a visit of the campus. You could have your DD call admissions and set up a tour. Then have her email the coach back, let him know that she will be coming and let him know that she has already contacted admissions and set up a school tour. That will let him know that she has legitimate interest in the school.
    Thanks for the feedback. DD is worried about being a freshman in HS next year and has put zero thought into College choices. The school is close and they have won their division the last 3 years and have a winning tradition, so it could possibly be a school she is interested in. Probably worth the day trip and a couple hundred bucks to go and find out.

  7. #5
    Checking out the clubhouse Bear coach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hube111 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. DD is worried about being a freshman in HS next year and has put zero thought into College choices. The school is close and they have won their division the last 3 years and have a winning tradition, so it could possibly be a school she is interested in. Probably worth the day trip and a couple hundred bucks to go and find out.
    Many college coaches know other coaches, so even if your DD is not interested in the school hosting the clinic. A coach could tell a coach of a school that she is interested in about her charachter while at the clinic. Any interaction is positive. Always be sure she shakes hands with the coaches, & thanks them after the clinic is over.

  8. #6
    Certified softball maniac MNDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,459
    Thanks
    1,657
    Thanked 1,317 Times in 681 Posts

    Default

    “Prospect Camps” IME are more like a tryout and aren’t necessarily money makers. DD went to one at a nationally ranked P5 school as a freshman, along with about 25 other pitchers. Sure, the odds were extremely slim they’d continue recruiting her, but it was a sure thing they wouldn’t recruit her if she didn’t go. At the very worst she got two days of instruction with an all American pitcher, a campus visit and a football game that included being on the field during warm ups. Best $80 I ever spent.
    Relax and enjoy the ride

  9. #7
    I can talk softball all day justanotherguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    403
    Thanks
    85
    Thanked 187 Times in 130 Posts

    Default

    I'm curious about "prospect camps". Do they advertise as such? How do you know you're at a "prospect camp" vs a "making money camp"? New to the process here so trying to understand as a father of a rising sophmore that's just one year away from this whole deal.

  10. #8
    Certified softball maniac MNDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,459
    Thanks
    1,657
    Thanked 1,317 Times in 681 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by justanotherguy View Post
    I'm curious about "prospect camps". Do they advertise as such? How do you know you're at a "prospect camp" vs a "making money camp"? New to the process here so trying to understand as a father of a rising sophmore that's just one year away from this whole deal.
    All college camps must be advertised and open to everybody. In general a “prospect camp” is geared more toward measuring performance than instruction. Some “prospect camps” invite participants directly so they can see kids they’re interested in. They’re required to advertise and admit anyone who signs up until the camp is full. By sending out invitations the camp fills up before the general public is aware of it. . You’ll hear talk of “invite only” camps and those simply don’t exist. “Prospect camp” also commonly refers to camps where multiple schools attend. These events are highly advertised and they’re trying to get a large number of kids.

    If you wait until Sep 1st of junior year you'll be way behind. It's time to get in front of coaches now. DII's and others can talk to you. That'll give you somewhat of an idea of where she fits.
    Relax and enjoy the ride

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to MNDad For This Useful Post:

    justanotherguy (08-06-2018)

  12. #9
    I can talk softball all day let it be fun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    250
    Thanks
    188
    Thanked 230 Times in 130 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by justanotherguy View Post
    I'm curious about "prospect camps". Do they advertise as such? How do you know you're at a "prospect camp" vs a "making money camp"? New to the process here so trying to understand as a father of a rising sophmore that's just one year away from this whole deal.
    Most camps I have seen have the "prospects" and the "others" and if the school hasn't seen your DD before or she hasn't been in regular contact with them she will probably be in the "others" group. The coaching staff will be paying a lot of attention to the players in the "prospects" group. If your DD is in the "others" group she can get attention by really doing something to impress the staff but that will be a lot tougher than if your DD was a known quantity coming in.

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to let it be fun For This Useful Post:

    justanotherguy (08-07-2018), sbmom444 (08-17-2018)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Segment -- Burn -- Conversion --