- Older Activity
- Today, 02:45 PMI have never hard of any HS program that charges $1000 for any sport. If they charged that for softball, they have to do so for every other sport. ...11 replies | 0 view(s)
- Today, 11:56 AMI agree with Sparky Guy for the most part but I will go deeper in that softball is not a team sport. No matter how good the one individual is they...30 replies | 0 view(s)
- Today, 11:10 AMWhat jumps out at me....Front toss...shifts & swings. Front toss & tee swings. Swings with her arms. Like to see DD use her hands to turn the barrel....8 replies | 0 view(s)
- Today, 10:53 AMGood stuff!! My favorite was; Pete Rose, Bake McBride, Mike Schmidt, Greg Luzinski, Manny Trillo, Garry Maddox, Larry Bowa, and Bob Boone. I can...66 replies | 0 view(s)
- Today, 10:40 AMIt is an amazing industry. The vast majority of those participating in the sport are not very good at it, yet many take it very seriously. The...66 replies | 0 view(s)
- Today, 09:44 AMI have thought about this a lot. When I was growing up, we constantly played outside. All throughout the summer we would play baseball or...66 replies | 0 view(s)
- Today, 09:16 AMSo how do you explain the popularity of golf? :)66 replies | 0 view(s)
- Today, 12:24 AMGreat advice, work with the future of your program. :rolleyes: Like ang2bmd mentioned, your state may allow only so many days of contact during...26 replies | 0 view(s)
- Yesterday, 05:48 PMI agree with others in that I wouldn't force anybody to be anything they are not. There is no tangible value for having "team leaders" in softball. ...30 replies | 0 view(s)
- Yesterday, 05:31 PMI don't understand your question. Are you asking as a coach? I don't really have a budget. I have funds where we raise money and keep them in the...11 replies | 0 view(s)
- Yesterday, 03:00 PMFunny you bring this up... A friend and I were just talking about this. The 18u team I coached this summer rostered 13 players. 12 of them pitched...66 replies | 0 view(s)
- Yesterday, 01:41 PMWhat I found is that the ones that want to do the extra work, will. The ones that don't, won't. This can also be largely influenced by the attitude...66 replies | 0 view(s)
- Yesterday, 01:34 PMAgain, this is only my experience, but I didn't ever feel like there was a lack of development happening because of player-pitch at 10U. Although...66 replies | 0 view(s)
- Yesterday, 01:24 PMMaybe my opinion will change in the years to come as my experiences and observations grow. That said, it sounds like what you experienced/observed...66 replies | 0 view(s)
- Yesterday, 12:52 PMThis is true. Had the same experience with my DD's. But in the OP's context of Rec Ball and the development of players, what about the other 99%?66 replies | 0 view(s)
- Yesterday, 12:50 PMWhile it would be optimal to develop all players together, the human body does not work that way. Kids develop at different rates and end up a...66 replies | 0 view(s)
- Yesterday, 12:41 PMSpeaking only for my DD...At the 8U and early 10U age, a majority of my DD's fundamental skill development came from our work outside of team...66 replies | 0 view(s)
- Yesterday, 12:26 PMI find that hard to believe that in 8U-10U there are 7-9 hours of practice and individual instruction for every hour of game time. Typically in...66 replies | 0 view(s)
- Yesterday, 12:21 PMI respectfully disagree with your assessment. I'm a proponent of developing all players - hitters, pitchers, catchers, and fielders - together. ...66 replies | 0 view(s)
- Yesterday, 12:07 PMIf you could have a machine call balls and strikes with laser like precision would you really want that? I say no as I enjoy the human element of it...17 replies | 0 view(s)
- Yesterday, 12:03 PMSometimes I tell my players to put their stuff outside of the dugout so we can go straight on the field to do some field work. We do this when time...10 replies | 0 view(s)
- Yesterday, 11:24 AMA good drive sequence usually takes care of the transition from forward to rearward posture. For kids struggling, offer a cue or two to help them get...29 replies | 0 view(s)
- Yesterday, 07:11 AMThe harsh reality is that very little before 14U makes a bit of difference in the long term development of pitchers. IMO developing pitchers at...66 replies | 0 view(s)
- 10-18-2017, 11:19 PMI don’t think there are many girls whose goal is to play college softball who would truly and happily consider that goal being achieved if they were...23 replies | 0 view(s)
- 10-18-2017, 08:38 PMYes, butBill Jamesand most sabermetricians are applying their analysis to the sport of baseball. Although there are many commonalities, fastpitch and...21 replies | 0 view(s)
- 10-18-2017, 07:19 PMOur rec league... 8U - Modified coach pitch for first half of season. Player pitch for second half (prep for All-Stars). 10U and up - All player...66 replies | 0 view(s)
- 10-18-2017, 06:45 PMIn my experience with young players, helping them learn the rules is a productive effort.10 replies | 0 view(s)
- 10-18-2017, 06:30 PMAgreed. I used "if" because we don't know all the necessary details to made a definitive decision.10 replies | 0 view(s)
- 10-18-2017, 06:02 PMThe simple explanation...On a batted ball, the fielder has the right-of-way. On a thrown ball, the runner has the right-of-way. In the case of...10 replies | 0 view(s)
About Ken B
- I study pitching mechanics 8 days a week...
- Pac NW
- Coaching soccer/goalkeepers, basketball and softball/pitching. Family, church, flying RC/FPV.
- Student of pitching mechanics
All the things I thought I figured out, I have to learn again"
Coach Don Henley
- Total Posts
- Posts Per Day
- Total Thanks
- Thanked 3,910 Times in 1,973 Posts
- Last Activity
- Today 03:25 PM
- Join Date
where's the chocolate?
Going broke on softball
Certified softball maniac
I can talk softball all day
Checking out the clubhouse
- 12:35 AM - Deleted Posts
- 02:50 PM - Ken B mentioned knightsb in post Baylor pitcher ... lagging throwing arm at the start of the up-swing.Hoping knightsb can dig up something...
- 02:29 PM - corlay quoted Ken B in post Riseball - ball rotation axisCan she spot it? If she c...
- 02:14 PM - Ken B quoted oriole in post Riseball - ball rotation axisAnother great visual aid. ...
- 01:42 PM - Ken B quoted ArmyStrong in post Riseball - ball rotation axisAnother great visual aid. Than...
- 01:41 PM - Deleted Posts
- 01:38 PM - Ken B quoted sluggers in post Riseball - ball rotation axisAnother great visual aid. Th...
- 12:56 PM - sluggers quoted Ken B in post Riseball - ball rotation axisI'd guess that most pitche...
- 12:53 PM - sluggers quoted Ken B in post Riseball - ball rotation axisPlease ignore seam orienta...
- 03:51 PM - Ken B quoted Rocketech1 in post To swim or not to swim glove handSpoke with jjsqueeze earlier th...
- 03:24 PM - Rocketech1 quoted Ken B in post To swim or not to swim glove handMiss his input as well as ...
- 02:58 PM - 4 girl's dad quoted Ken B in post Pitching Drills HelpBump... One of the very f...
- 12:15 PM - Ken B quoted djcarter1966 in post Advice for dad and daughter-fixing holes in front of the pitcher's plateIf they will let you do maintenan...