Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 55

Thread: First Travel Ball Tryout

  1. #31
    Certified softball maniac ANNASDAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,315
    Thanks
    616
    Thanked 818 Times in 492 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    It also sucks for the other kids in your family if they aren't into sports. This past summer I felt like I never did anything with my 12yo son and felt terrible about it. We talked about it and I promised him we would go fishing more this year and get the kayaks out more as well. It's a difficult balancing act to say the least, especially if you are involved in the coaching side of it.
    Absolutely, my son plays basketball, it's a really tough schedule to balance, luckily he's a very understanding kid and I have a wife who's over the top helpful with this! What's funny, my son knows I'm a baseball/softball nut, definitely not a basketball fan, well I shouldn't say "not" but you get my point........and he reminds me of this from time to time!
    Smile and run everywhere, someone very important is watching!

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ANNASDAD For This Useful Post:

    Jdaddy (12-06-2018), MikeP (12-06-2018)

  3. #32
    I eat, sleep and breathe softball grcsftbll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    3,489
    Thanks
    2,061
    Thanked 1,888 Times in 1,121 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ANNASDAD View Post
    Absolutely, my son plays basketball, it's a really tough schedule to balance, luckily he's a very understanding kid and I have a wife who's over the top helpful with this! What's funny, my son knows I'm a baseball/softball nut, definitely not a basketball fan, well I shouldn't say "not" but you get my point........and he reminds me of this from time to time!
    My older one has been known to use this against us. It's hard to say no to her sometimes, when I know how much time and money goes into the younger one's activity.
    Softball Mom

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to grcsftbll For This Useful Post:

    ANNASDAD (12-06-2018)

  5. #33
    Always learning... Eric F's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    8,858
    Thanks
    5,611
    Thanked 6,849 Times in 3,531 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lancer360 View Post
    Well, so much for tryouts today. DD was showing off with a friend at school today seeing who could jump to the 4th rung of the monkey bars. DD made a jump for the 4th bar and caught it briefly before her hands slipped off sending her flipping around and landing directly on her right shoulder. Doesn't seem to be limiting her range of motion, but it is tender. Team is having open practices thru January so we will try again next week assuming her shoulder is better. I'm hoping it is just a bit bruised, but she says the pain is deep inside the shoulder which is what has me concerned.

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Oh, man. That sucks! I hope she heals quickly. As the dad of a DD who has been very injury prone both on and off the ballfield, I know your struggle.

    Was the coach expecting your DD to show up yesterday? If so, did you let him know what happened?
    A TB parent's life...Drive. Write checks. Eat tacos.

  6. #34
    I'm a fan lancer360's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    82
    Thanks
    91
    Thanked 29 Times in 20 Posts

    Default

    We went to the practice and introduced ourselves and watched. We might try to go watch one of their tournament games this weekend if the schedule works out.

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to lancer360 For This Useful Post:

    Jdaddy (12-06-2018)

  8. #35
    Always learning... Eric F's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    8,858
    Thanks
    5,611
    Thanked 6,849 Times in 3,531 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lancer360 View Post
    We went to the practice and introduced ourselves and watched. We might try to go watch one of their tournament games this weekend if the schedule works out.

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Good move. It shows your intent and interest. What did you think of what you saw at the practice?
    A TB parent's life...Drive. Write checks. Eat tacos.

  9. #36
    I'm a fan lancer360's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    82
    Thanks
    91
    Thanked 29 Times in 20 Posts

    Default

    It looked pretty good, but this was my first travel practice to watch so hard to base it off of anything. It sucked sitting in the stands though. With rec ball I have always been an assistant coach out on the field helping out and getting to interact with the team.

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  10. #37
    Always learning... Eric F's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    8,858
    Thanks
    5,611
    Thanked 6,849 Times in 3,531 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lancer360 View Post
    It looked pretty good, but this was my first travel practice to watch so hard to base it off of anything. It sucked sitting in the stands though. With rec ball I have always been an assistant coach out on the field helping out and getting to interact with the team.

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    LOL - I know. I was always an AC in rec ball, too. When my DD moved to TB, I had to learn how to be just a parent...which became helping with warm-ups...and practices...and then back to being an AC. When my DD changed teams in 14U, I went back to being just a parent. Now, I run GameChanger, broadcast games via Periscope, and help out with a few other administrative things for the team. I miss being on the field working with the girls, but it's better for my DD for me to be on the other side of the fence now.
    A TB parent's life...Drive. Write checks. Eat tacos.

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eric F For This Useful Post:

    4 girl's dad (12-07-2018), Jdaddy (12-06-2018)

  12. #38
    Softball Junkie bmakj's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    591
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 111 Times in 93 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric F View Post
    LOL - I know. I was always an AC in rec ball, too. When my DD moved to TB, I had to learn how to be just a parent...which became helping with warm-ups...and practices...and then back to being an AC. When my DD changed teams in 14U, I went back to being just a parent. Now, I run GameChanger, broadcast games via Periscope, and help out with a few other administrative things for the team. I miss being on the field working with the girls, but it's better for my DD for me to be on the other side of the fence now.
    yes, this is tough, used to coach rec, and watching practices and games has at times been painful. have to always take a deep breath and remind myself it is always easier to see what is being done wrong, omitted, etc. from the outside than in the center of the storm.

  13. #39
    I eat, sleep and breathe softball grcsftbll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    3,489
    Thanks
    2,061
    Thanked 1,888 Times in 1,121 Posts
    Softball Mom

  14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grcsftbll For This Useful Post:

    Chris8 (12-07-2018), lancer360 (12-07-2018)

  15. #40
    I can talk softball all day fuzzy2651's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    110
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 28 Times in 23 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by grcsftbll View Post
    And ump from too

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •