Wasn't sure we're to ask this as I would like both HS coaches and parents input. I'm going to list some scenerios and see how both parties feel about it. Situation is HS season runs roughly 2 and 1/2 months pract. And games. These will fall during SB season.
1. Those appointments that are sceduled way out. Dentist, orthodontist, specialist doctors etc. and aren't easy to move so you sched 4 to 6 month out back in October on wed knowing games aren't played on weds only practice.
2. Your looking at school calendar and plan a trip for spring break, or Easter weekend knowing school is out. You don't have a SB schedule, it's not out yet but waiting later will result in not being able to book rooms, flights etc.
3. Prom season, girls have bought dresses and made hair, makeup, etc.appointments , rainouts are pushing make ups into very small window.
DD's coach on these.
1. DD coach doesn't want them to miss period so a Dr appoint of this type will result in running and one game on bench.
2. Coach scheduled tourny on these and expects players there, see #1.
3. Don't care about the appts and quiet frankly if needed expects you to be late to prom if needed to play early game. Just short of expecting girls to skip prom.
This parents take
1. Sorry but that don't cut it. I did best I could and tried to not interfere with games. Why punish my child for something that has to be attended to and we both are involved and have to attend. No I'm not going to scedule during the day and have her miss classes or me work by using vac. Edit. There needs to be an attendance policy but needs to workable not zero tolerance.
2. I work and have earned my vac time and the seniority to scedule it when I want. I'm quickly approaching the days of my child not going on the family vacations and want to share the last few we have. She will be in college and or working with little vacation time to work with. So dont schedule games, practice they could use a break.
3. These young ladies have on avg only 2 or 3 to attend in their life time. They already made these appointments later to not miss practice or games. Not their fault the weather caused havoc. For some this is a very important event.
In summary we try to accommodate the season and the coach as much as possiable. When they step on the field we loan our child to you. We know you make decesions, rules and hopefully these help to have an enjoyable and successful season. We want our child to learn responsibility and dedication. I hope you can help wit this as you will be their first boss so to speak and it's a great learning chance for life and how to handle it. But in the end its our child first and your player second. Step back aND think if any of these situations involved you and your child as a parent not a coach would you like it. For most HS teams there are very few that will continue to the nxt level and you are only getting a small stipend not a years salary. So your lively hood does not hinge on the outcome of the season and the teams record. Parents do everything possiable to avoid schedule conflicts but also enjoy these 4 yrs because after them she is a young adult and will be making her on life and you only be a smaller part of it.