I'm Either Arrogant or Crazy

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 19, 2013
I'm just a parent/pitching coach for my DD who has been reading and watching pretty much everything I can get my hands on regarding pitching for the last few years. Finally ending up here at least 5 days a week to see what's going on and trying to interpret that for where I think she is and what we should work on. We also get to see Ken B somewhat regularly for his help.

Lately I've had the opportunity to observe arguably the most popular pitching coach in my state over a few weeks.

My DD has not had a lesson with her. I'm just watching for a couple hours a week and analyzing what I see. The crazy part is that even though most of the pitchers I see in her lessons are faster than my daughter and most have at least one aspect that is stronger I still can't imagine going to her. In fact I want rip my hair out every week. I watch GOOD pitchers show up looking strong with good I/R only to have her put them on chalk circles on the wall counteracting their good arm position. Or I watch drills of girls who look great and then she has them pitching from one of those chutes for 40 minutes. Or 30 minutes on the spinners to learn the rise. I watched her correcting a girls foot position for quite some time and then try to show her how she does it only to see that she doesn't do what she thinks/says she does. She also likes to sell the weird apparatus that she recommends for the drills of course!

To put the cherry on the top the two best pitchers I've witnessed so far - when I heard their conversations - I found out that they were new students of hers so didn't get where they are from her at all.

But the dilemma comes when our team thinks she's awesome and would like my DD to go to her, and what they see are faster pitchers who are heading off to colleges. And here I am training her myself and taking her to some guy I found on-line (sorry Ken you know what I mean). I tend to think that most of these girls were strong when they got there and are all serious hard workers who tend to improve even in spite of her, or also with her mental coaching and encouragement.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Classof2020, you're facing a very common dilemma. People seem to assume that if a few pitchers who see a particular coach are very good that it's because they're seeing that coach. But that's not necessarily the case. As you've observed, they might be succeeding in spite of the coach.

For example, a bigger, stronger girl with more fast twitch muscles is going to find it easier to throw hard. It's the same thing as running. Some kids just naturally run faster (and slower) than others. I don't care how much instruction you give them, some girls are just never going to be very fast. And some girls are going to be able to go home to first in 2.8 seconds without any instruction whatsoever. So why should we assume that all speed differences are about instruction?

The big difference you're facing is rightfully so or not, the PC you're talking about has a track record and you do not. So of course the assumption is going to be that your daughter would be better off with the PC. It's a shame, really. I see lots of kids getting poor instruction because the program they're in has a PC, and everyone is directed to go to that PC. Or lessons with that PC are included in the registration price, so why pay extra to go to someone else?

Most people don't know what makes a good pitcher, nor do they want to know. They just want to be told where to go, and to feel good about the decision (which means seeing pitchers that coach has worked with who are successful).

Hang in there. Hopefully the work you and Ken B. are doing will yield some good results, and then the others will get off your back. It's a process.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
I have such a hard time watching these coaches teach HE and mess up good pitchers. I am having to defend my own DD from these coaches so I don't have time to fix the others, though I want to so bad! Occasionally hc will let me catch his DD and I throw things in to help her and after a few pitches she gets it. But then dad is holleering "point the elbow" and "slam the door"

blah...

May 9, 2014
Umatilla, Florida
We played a JV game the other day and the entire team was telling their pitcher "remember your elbow" the whole game. It was nails on a chalkboard and the girl was struggling so bad.

I hate tacos- said no Juan anywhere

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi