How do you increase speed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 19, 2013
So I want to open the discussion to How you increase your daughters speed.
I have a 16yr and she is a very good travel player, one thing she lacks is speed. She not a big girl just not fast. we work on things like agility ladders, cones, sprints and she runs. Its increase a little.

How do you guys get maximum results the fastest?
Seen a bunch of ads for twice the speed .com, as anyone tried it and does it work?

Thanks

May 6, 2015
train with a cougar . . . . this will get her to run fast ;)

when coacing little ones (like 6/7/8 yo), I used to run behind them and would bark. fear works. sometimes they just need something to get them to push past what they think they can do (ie what is comfortable)

Dec 15, 2018
CT
Agree with Eric F on strength work. The most efficient (I hesitate to give advice on "fastest results"...recipe for overdoing it and getting injured) way to go about it is to work in hill sprints (short - no more than 60-80 feet is necessary), with a focus on form - think "bounding" up hill, driving with knees, pumping arms). Don't go crazy - 6 to 10 sprints, 3 days a week. Make sure she's loose (especially calves, as the incline of the hill introduces an eccentric stretch).

ian

Jun 11, 2015
There is some mechanics that can be worked on. The feet are obviously important. Hyper arch is kind of interesting and makes sense.

Here Antonelli talks about when he was impressed with a players speed. The player told him how he used to work on his speed. I haven't had my kids try it but...

Feb 3, 2016
A kids top speed ceiling can be raised to a point but the first few steps getting to top speed are the most important for Softball IMO.
So from 0 to top speed you need to make the muscle contractions quicker.
The body parts used to increase speed that need to work quicker?
quadriceps, hamstrings, glutes and calves.
Tons of video and training for those groups. Core strength and technique go hand in hand here.

Running (I like repetitive 15 yard dashes and over time and with improvement reduce to 10 yard then 5). Box jumps, stairs and speed chutes, if older they can benefit from a trapbar if lifting> not for body building just quick muscle activation.

Of course a good diet always helps.
Lots of players only train these sustaining items above in actual softball practice (unfortunately mostly running/stretching only).

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28