Help with getting palm up @ the 9:00 positon

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2019
Hello Everyone

This is my first time posting a question. Daughter switched to ir/bi last July. She seems to have a conscious understanding of it but when she pitches full speed off the rubber, she still wants to turn the ball to second base. Is there any drill to help build proper muscle memory? We start at lock-it-in and progress to show it. Even on show it and throw it, she will want to turn the ball to second base if she goes fast.

This is full speed full motion:

This is what she looks like slowing way down and concentrating on the motion. Are we on the right track here?:

Nov 8, 2018
I feel your pain Bd. We switch in dec and it’s a struggle moving from he to ir.
She is at show it and throw it. That’s good. Is that full speed?
What’s your next progression. ?
I would continue the profession. Full circle but keep the legs in a stacked position. Start slow and progress to 100%.
Then progress to adding a step to that. Start slow and work to 100. Next is a small push off. Start slow and progress to 100.

This will give you bench marks to stop at and push thru. Practice practice practice. She will eventually feel the Ir whip and get used to it.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 17, 2019
Thanks for the reply Dr.
When she does “show it” full speed she will still turn the ball back towards second. What she can do is come off the rubber close to full speed and pause in a “k” position palm up. Then whip through. If she puts this two together at full speed without the k position pause she is back to pointing the ball at second. Muscle memory is a force to be reckoned with.

Nov 8, 2018
Thanks for the reply Dr.
When she does “show it” full speed she will still turn the ball back towards second. What she can do is come off the rubber close to full speed and pause in a “k” position palm up. Then whip through. If she puts this two together at full speed without the k position pause she is back to pointing the ball at second. Muscle memory is a force to be reckoned with.

Aha. Ok. Do show it without a push off and only as fast as she can do it correctly. Then do it 100x perfect. Then try to amp up the tempo. At some point you have to move on a little. Progress a little so she fails. However she has to not fail 100%. 1 of 3 good. Etc. Some wins some losses. That will push her forward. All losses or 100% bad form will just reinforce bad form.
I went thru it. It sucks. It’s frustrating. But with the right practice she will get it.

Nov 8, 2018
Aha. Ok. Do show it without a push off and only as fast as she can do it correctly. Then do it 100x perfect. Then try to amp up the tempo. At some point you have to move on a little. Progress a little so she fails. However she has to not fail 100%. 1 of 3 good. Etc. Some wins some losses. That will push her forward. All losses or 100% bad form will just reinforce bad form.
I went thru it. It sucks. It’s frustrating. But with the right practice she will get it.

Also, 2 things. IMG_3157.jpg.
Here you can see the crow hop. Be aware of it.
Second IMG_3158.jpg
See the space between her hip and elbow and her body lean over to her right. That will become an issue when she starts doing Ir correctly. My dd did the same thing. Opening up too much, sticking that butt out to create an alley for the he release.
Your work is not done. Lol.

May 17, 2019
Also, 2 things. View attachment 14198.
Second View attachment 14199
See the space between her hip and elbow and her body lean over to her right. That will become an issue when she starts doing Ir correctly. My dd did the same thing. Opening up too much, sticking that butt out to create an alley for the he release.

[/QUOTE
Also, 2 things. View attachment 14198.
Second View attachment 14199

Yes, I see that lean to the side when she is pitching in games and I know she is pushing the ball and not whipping. I also feel like she throws her hips open too far too soon. Sometimes her stride foot lands at 90 deg. She does feel the crow hop and can somewhat control it in games at least to the point it is undetectable by an umpire, but it does need to be corrected.

Apr 12, 2015
You need to remove the lower body from the equation. Her upper body mechanics are messy and it will be difficult to correct these without isolation. A lot of people disagree with isolation exercises, but I think it is needed here. My suggestions:

1. Cease throwing to a catcher. Throw into a net or tarp about 10 feet away.
2. With the both feet at 45 degrees on a powerline, have her practice stability. Flex her stomach muscles and crack the walnut (squeeze her buttcheeks together).
3. Start a simple up-together/down-together routine. Have her bring both her glove hand and the ball up to 3:00 and 9:00 respectively. Watch the extreme bend in the elbow. Her arm shouldn't be straight, but nor should it be extremely bent like she is making a muscle. Raised but relaxed is the best way to describe this.
4. As she pulls down into release, cracking the walnut will prevent her from sticking her butt out to avoid brush and train the feeling of proper brush contact. If she continues to have problems with a ball in hand, take the ball away and give her a t-ball bat and do Boardmember's bat drill.

5. Gradually progress up to full show it/throw it, then full arm circles.
6. From that point, progress to distance throwing, but just playing catch while throwing underhand.
7. Once she is proficient at playing catch underhand, resume full motion pitching. I think you'll find most of the drive "problems" such as mislanding, crow hopping, etc, will most likely have disappeared.

Last edited:
May 17, 2019
You need to remove the lower body from the equation. Her upper body mechanics are messy and it will be difficult to correct these without isolation. A lot of people disagree with isolation exercises, but I think it is needed here. My suggestions:

1. Cease throwing to a catcher. Throw into a net or tarp about 10 feet away.
2. With the both feet at 45 degrees on a powerline, have her practice stability. Flex her stomach muscles and crack the walnut (squeeze her buttcheeks together).
3. Start a simple up-together/down-together routine. Have her bring both her glove hand and the ball up to 3:00 and 9:00 respectively. Watch the extreme bend in the elbow. Her arm shouldn't be straight, but nor should it be extremely bent like she is making a muscle. Raised but relaxed is the best way to describe this.
4. As she pulls down into release, cracking the walnut will prevent her from sticking her butt out to avoid brush and train the feeling of proper brush contact. If she continues to have problems with a ball in hand, take the ball away and give her a t-ball bat and do Boardmember's bat drill.

5. Gradually progress up to full show it/throw it, then full arm circles.
6. From that point, progress to distance throwing, but just playing catch while throwing underhand.
7. Once she is proficient at playing catch underhand, resume full motion pitching. I think you'll find most of the drive "problems" such as mislanding, crow hopping, etc, will most likely have disappeared.

Thank you for taking the time to respond. Good stuff.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I sometimes us an extended K position drill. I have them go to the standard K position then curl the arm up over the head or touching the ear. Then it's leap, land and fire, focusing on the elbow leading the downswing. Here is link to Blair Luna doing it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802