Gorilla Gold now approved for high school play

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Hard to think of outdoor high school games with all the snow on the ground in much of the country, but sooner or later the temperatures will get warmer and the snow will melt. Right?

When the games do start, pitchers now have another option for improving their grip. I received a notification that Gorilla Grip has now been approved for play by the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS). From their press release:

The National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS) has included Gorilla Gold Grip Enhancer, the world’s leading producer and marketer of resin-tackified grip towels, as an approved drying agent that can be kept in a pitcher’s pocket.

The approval aligns the organization with the majority of softball governing bodies including the NCAA, the American Softball Association (ASA), the International Softball Federation (ISF), as well as others. The NFHS has also approved Gorilla Gold for use by baseball pitchers.

In the current ruling, pitchers cannot have residue on the ball. Like rosin, Gorilla Gold does not affect the ball, only the fingers or hands to which the drying agent is first applied.

So there you go. Hopefully pitchers all over the country will get a chance to try it out soon.

More...

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
For what it is worth and that ain't much - DD has been stuck at top speed of 67mph since season started in med-February. Used GG this weekend and she was working at 66-67 and topped out with a couple of 69's. Was it because of the GG? No way to be sure. However, I have ordered more from Amazon. :)

Dec 7, 2011
For what it is worth and that ain't much - DD has been stuck at top speed of 67mph since season started in med-February. Used GG this weekend and she was working at 66-67 and topped out with a couple of 69's. Was it because of the GG? No way to be sure. However, I have ordered more from Amazon. :)

3 packs comin from Ebay - woo hoo!

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
RB - Let me know how it goes.

My DD said that she applies it before warming up and then will reapply it once or twice during game. Said it was different than typical rosin and could feel the release better. Not exactly sure what it means but I ordered some more and had it sent to her dorm.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah

Um...... HOLY COW!!!! That's throwing heat! That should melt the snow everywhere.

Dec 7, 2011
RB - Let me know how it goes.

My DD said that she applies it before warming up and then will reapply it once or twice during game. Said it was different than typical rosin and could feel the release better. Not exactly sure what it means but I ordered some more and had it sent to her dorm.

Ya I think it was the NZ guy Mike Roberts (now at Oregon) that gave my DD the hint to this stuff way back when she was 11 or 12 yrs old. It's funky. It's tacky but yet you could swear it's not leaving a residue.

Anyways when DD was 12 she didn't know her head from her #$%@^!@$% so she just thought it was "weird". Now that it's legal for HS, AND with all the early season games up here that are going to be cold & wet (they always are) DD is open to bringing it back.

So she will give it a shot for cold/wet initially and we'll see where that goes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06