Glove swimming / Body weight / momeentum

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Glove swimming / body weight / momentum

There has been a lot of discussion about glove arm swimming lately. I have recently posted a thread on distraction forces and the negative impact that the motions of either arm can cause a pitcher.

If the force of the forward momentum energy is strong enough, that amount of energy can reduce the impact the distraction forces can have on the overall mechanics and the pitch itself.

I don’t recall mentioning the impact the weight of glove has on different sized / weight pitchers.

Simply put, gloves pretty much weigh in at around the same weight, within a few ounces. If I am a 95 pound ‘stick girl’, the weight of that glove on my extended arm can have a HUGE effect on my overall mechanics if that arm swims even a little.. At the other end of that, if I am a 250 adult male, or a 160 pound adult female that same weight of glove on my extended arm will have VERY little effect on my mechanics if it swims a little.

In a recent thread someone posted a disected video of myself throwing and my glove was swimming slightly out from the powerline. In my case, 250 pounds at the time, it had zero impact on my mechanics or accuracy. I was throwing a softball submarine wind up, a very quick step style pitch and I did NOT want that glove to come close to blocking my vision. I did NOT want to hit my 500.00 camera. So there could be other unseen reasons why some of these adult ‘Elite’ pitchers dfo this.

We cannot ask Ueno why she was swimming if she was. We can pretty much be sure though that it was having ZERO effect on that adult female pitcher or she WOULD NOT BE DOING IT.

Just a little food for thought.

For a young pitcher that is a light weight or does not have an aggressive and strong drive forward, glove swim can be a huge thing. Bigger, stronger more aggressive pitchers, a lot less effect.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00