Evaluating 8U players for travel ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2013
One other thought - Work ethic is great, but don't underrate their enjoyment of the game. I coached one girl who from age 7 to 12 didn't work hard, was immature, goofed around, but she was very talented and enjoyed every minute of the game itself. (Alan Iverson, if you will.) She was good enough to get away with it. Now, she's a beast of a hitter and catcher, and she's beginning to get serious about getting better. I wouldn't snuff out a girl's enthusiasm for playing the game just because she's not the most mature, hardest worker at 8U. If she's got talent.

One of the players that I am hoping to get is like this. She was by far the fastest player in our rec league and has decent pop with the bat. The best quality she has though is her incredible attitude. She kept our dugout laughing through this season and is a great kid to be around.

Jun 11, 2013
If you are going to form a travel team you have to find a good pitcher. No use practicing if you can't throw strikes. Agree with other posts on the parents. If they won't help at practice they won't help at home. If a parent's first comment is I want her to play SS,C,P,etc I would seriously consider not keeping her. If they ask what can we do to make her better, it's a good deal. Then when looking at players, keep away from bad attitudes. Talent is a little harder to figure out. Some kids are great at 8 because they know how to play, but others just have natural ability but have never been taught. However the biggest thing is seriously take stock of yourself. Can you really handle this situation. It's a lot of work, it's frustrating and expensive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00